....and I always get way too many books when I want to read about something. Do I really think I can read all of these in two weeks? No, but what if one is better than the other? So, I better get them all!
Okay, maybe you've seen it, but I have a link on my blog "A Family Runs Through It," and he homeschools his kids (his wife works outside the home)...he's a great blogger and talks about homeschooling frequently. Also, he has like 1000 links to other homeschool blogs and sites. Good luck in your research!
this post is particularly good, i thought, for those considering homeschooling. just good food for thought. http://www.pkmeco.com/familyblog/2008/02/calling-it-quits.html
I am not homeschooling right now. I wanted to a few years back but was worried about a lot of things. Though I didn't research at all beyond google! My mom just told me to try school out first and see how we felt about it. Elijah is finishing up the first grade and this time around I am reading those books. With my experiences so far, a little more confidence in my ability to make parental decisions, and the research I am doing - I feel way more confident that I'll figure it all out. For good! I would say that google is a bad place to start because you'll have to wade through all of the very personal experiences to get to any real data. No matter what you look up on google you're going to find a lot of angry people who are against it. We Mormons should know that!
ooh. so good to know! i started "school" this week with flynn so i can mess up before it counts! i am totally decided to do it unless something happens to change my mind. what made you start to consider it again?
Megh - In the past little while I have been trying to do what I want to do - not what I think I'm "supposed" to do. Trying to find out what makes me happy and then going for it. Does that make sense? Homeschooling is part of that.
I have thought about doing this a lot, and almost did this year...but I just wasn't feeling confident enough with it yet. I may in the future. I HIGHLY recommend the book 'A Thomas Jefferson Education'. It is about a method of schooling that is best done through homeschooling. It has actually changed the way I do a lot of things with my kids. I haven't found it in any libraries around here, and it only comes in a hardback ($26) but you would be very welcome to borrow my copy! Also, I loved loved loved the Charlotte Mason method that I looked into. I also thought the book 'Dumbing us down' had some very good points about what a compulsary education can do to children and families. Hope some of that helps :) I also enjoy The Piioneer Women blog, who also happens to homeschool :)
Good reads Amy - I might just have to borrow that - though who knows how I'd get it! I've seen that blog and it's great. Another one I love is this blueyonder.blogspot.com - she homeschools and takes some LOVELY pictures of it all. I have looked a little into the charlotte mason theory and it totally interested me too.
by the way - you look so beautiful in your little profile image!
i second the thomas jefferson book for homeschooling info...i read it and found some good stuff in it, although most of the curriculum and literature he talked about were so male based- if ruby went through it as he outlined it, she'd have limited exposure to heroines and female history...but i like some of the basic ideas. i have another one of those books in your stack- yellow with red writing, can't remember the name, i wonder if you like it- i haven't opened it yet. i worry my kids school teachers will hate me because i will probably pick and choose what homework i think is worthwhile. i wish there was a waldorf school near where i live. we have pretty limited options though...a homeschool co-op would be cool though.
megan - my mom has told me the exact same thing. hannah is only in kindergarten right now - but i have been less than impressed with what she has done, in comparison to her capabilities. my mom has said again to try her out in grade one and see how that goes. . . . so we'll try it - but i'm starting to do more homeschooling research.
The secret to being miserable is having the leisure to bother about whether you are happy or not.
-George Bernard Shaw
1.)"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived. "
2.)"The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache."
12 comments:
Okay, maybe you've seen it, but I have a link on my blog "A Family Runs Through It," and he homeschools his kids (his wife works outside the home)...he's a great blogger and talks about homeschooling frequently. Also, he has like 1000 links to other homeschool blogs and sites. Good luck in your research!
this post is particularly good, i thought, for those considering homeschooling. just good food for thought. http://www.pkmeco.com/familyblog/2008/02/calling-it-quits.html
Thanks for the link Steph - I'm loving it already!
Right now that blue book in the middle of the pile - "Better than School" is rockin my world! I totally recommend it.
megan - are you homeschooling right now? or just looking into it? i'm kind of playing with the idea, but have so many concerns about it. . . anyway.
I am not homeschooling right now. I wanted to a few years back but was worried about a lot of things. Though I didn't research at all beyond google! My mom just told me to try school out first and see how we felt about it. Elijah is finishing up the first grade and this time around I am reading those books. With my experiences so far, a little more confidence in my ability to make parental decisions, and the research I am doing - I feel way more confident that I'll figure it all out. For good! I would say that google is a bad place to start because you'll have to wade through all of the very personal experiences to get to any real data. No matter what you look up on google you're going to find a lot of angry people who are against it. We Mormons should know that!
ooh. so good to know! i started "school" this week with flynn so i can mess up before it counts! i am totally decided to do it unless something happens to change my mind. what made you start to consider it again?
Megh - In the past little while I have been trying to do what I want to do - not what I think I'm "supposed" to do. Trying to find out what makes me happy and then going for it. Does that make sense? Homeschooling is part of that.
I have thought about doing this a lot, and almost did this year...but I just wasn't feeling confident enough with it yet. I may in the future. I HIGHLY recommend the book 'A Thomas Jefferson Education'. It is about a method of schooling that is best done through homeschooling. It has actually changed the way I do a lot of things with my kids. I haven't found it in any libraries around here, and it only comes in a hardback ($26) but you would be very welcome to borrow my copy! Also, I loved loved loved the Charlotte Mason method that I looked into. I also thought the book 'Dumbing us down' had some very good points about what a compulsary education can do to children and families. Hope some of that helps :)
I also enjoy The Piioneer Women blog, who also happens to homeschool :)
Good reads Amy - I might just have to borrow that - though who knows how I'd get it! I've seen that blog and it's great. Another one I love is this blueyonder.blogspot.com - she homeschools and takes some LOVELY pictures of it all. I have looked a little into the charlotte mason theory and it totally interested me too.
by the way - you look so beautiful in your little profile image!
i second the thomas jefferson book for homeschooling info...i read it and found some good stuff in it, although most of the curriculum and literature he talked about were so male based- if ruby went through it as he outlined it, she'd have limited exposure to heroines and female history...but i like some of the basic ideas. i have another one of those books in your stack- yellow with red writing, can't remember the name, i wonder if you like it- i haven't opened it yet. i worry my kids school teachers will hate me because i will probably pick and choose what homework i think is worthwhile. i wish there was a waldorf school near where i live. we have pretty limited options though...a homeschool co-op would be cool though.
megan - my mom has told me the exact same thing. hannah is only in kindergarten right now - but i have been less than impressed with what she has done, in comparison to her capabilities. my mom has said again to try her out in grade one and see how that goes. . . . so we'll try it - but i'm starting to do more homeschooling research.
Post a Comment