Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My favorite mom musings

There's this great new magazine put out by the people at FamilyFun Magazine that is geared more towards younger families - and it has waaay better pictures and maybe a little hipper style. It's called Wondertime and I've seen it on the shelves at the grocery store so you can check it out... Anyhow, they have this girl(Catherine Newman) who writes on their site - keeping a weekly blog about motherhood. When I'm having one of those nights were my skin is crawling with stress and I really feel like I am going to lose it with my kids - I let Mike take over and I go and catch up on her blog. It really is the greatest and it makes me laugh and then laugh some more until I cry. And by the time I'm done (when the kids are in bed) I feel relaxed and rejuvenated and ready to face the world again. You should CHECK IT OUT!

Here's an excerpt from one about tending to sick kids:
Birdy is an utter stoic during her appointment — she's like a child-shaped column poured from concrete. Silent, stiff, and brave. Our nurse is new, and when, pre-strep-swab, I gesture at the plastic kidney dishes and say, "Birdy's kind of a gagger — let's just be on the safe side and grab one of those," her face scrimples up with distaste. "Ugh," she says, "I hope she doesn't vomit!" "Oh, I'm sorry," I say. "What was I thinking bringing my sick and potentially vomiting preschooler here to try on a tweed skirt at the Talbot's fitting room ... here to finger the Tiffany engagement rings ... here to the Clinique counter to test under-eye concealer — oh wait. No. I didn't. I brought my sick child to the doctor." Okay, I'm tired and irritated, but I don't actually say that. I say, "I bet she also hopes she doesn't vomit." And she doesn't. And she doesn't have strep either.
Maybe it's just me but this is great stuff...

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

yay! another fun new blog to look at! i read a bit already and she is REALLY funny.

Patria said...

i love this stuff...thank goodness for people with a witty and clever sense of humor to make daily life challenges funny...(like you Meg!)

Kathy said...

i love it! i have read a bit and it's great. so nice to have some reality to read and totally relate to!