So yesterday when I was out inspecting the yard to make sure their weren't any eggs being layed in weird places I saw that we too have wild onions. I was really excited by this - it hearkened back to my childhood when I dreamed of being a hunter/gatherer and living in the woods - what was that book called?
Anyhow, we pulled them out, took them in, washed them and set to work.
I first minced the bulbs and the stalks about a third up the stem. I sauted this in butter- meanwhile cooking some white rice in another pot.
Once my rice was done I added the softened onion, some butter, and salt to the rice. I fluffed with a fork and took a bite. It was excellent. My kids didn't want any though they seemed excited enough as we gathered and cooked. So I ate the whole thing myself. Ahh...feels good. I have now reached Martha Stewart status.....Well, that's not the whole story - within about twenty minutes there was some rumbling - a lot of rumbling. And some unmentionable things that go along with indigestion and bloating - I'll spare you the details and let your imaginations do the work. Needless to say, I was sick to my stomach for a good hour.
Wild onions and garlic grow all over the United States in many different varieties and none of these varieties are poisonous. But...they just might give you gas, bloating, and diarrhea. They say to try a little bite of one first and see how your tummy reacts. I did not do this but would whole heartedly recommend it. They also say that eating wild onions will create a natural bug repellent. I would add that some of the side effects of eating wild onions create natural people repellents too. For a good 24 hours...and counting.
As for me and my house...our eating of wild onion days are over. My tummy still rumbles when I look at these pictures.
Or better yet, let them grow and sell them. Marketing it as a quick bowel cleansing program where all of that gross stuff appears in your toilet. I have already tested it on myself and it seems pretty effective...


7 comments:
this makes me queasy just reading it.
Hey Megan,
When you mow the grass/onions you get a lovely white foam sometimes, and the whole yard will reek of onions on a warm summer day.
Enjoy!
I say use it every day before your doctor's appointments so that you can feel better about yourself after the weigh-ins. Whatever it takes.
Sorry I didn't mean to post under that...that is our Kingwood Yard Sales account name.
Megan,
Sorry about your tummy!
Kricket
It really did sound good - until the diarrhea part:) And way to mince!! When did you get so good at dicing things so small?
A good thing to do on a Sunday afternoon...read all of the blogs you have linked on your site!
I have really enjoyed my Sabbath. It has been like visiting old friends-well, young friends anyway.
Love the onion story, and the pics of the boys on the ride at the rodeo...priceless!
Didn't realize you are headed Boise way. Good area to be! We may join you some day!
Post a Comment