Sunday, May 24, 2009

Movie Review - The Thin Man

I have seen this title for a long time and assumed it was a classic film noir(click to see definition) - and though it does have a touch of noir - it's really more screwballish and fun than that. This film was made in 1934 not too long after the advent of sound in Hollywood(1927) and it follows the trend of a lot of that era's pictures - snarky and witty, full of lively conversation - celebrating the art of sound. Though the transfer is a little rough around the edges and really should be completely remastered - it is a gem.

Now, I love old movies - everything about them. I love the black and white film, the simple editing and sound, and I like to see what people were watching so many years ago. And this qualifies as old! I am particularly interested in films made during the Great Depression as this one was. Though those were extremely difficult times, Hollywood was on top of it's game - people were escaping from their problems at the movies. And this film came smack dab in the middle of the depression and was the most popular movie of the year. The main character played by William Powell is a retired detective - a.k.a. everyman who has married a wonderfully witty and beautiful millionaire played by Myrna Loy - just what everyone dreamed of doing during those hard times. She convinces him to solve a mystery for a friend just so she can see him in action. The movie isn't scary or action packed but the fun between the main characters is great and the film will keep you guessing - even nearly 80 years later. Now that's a classic! This film is among the must see classics and I'm surprised I waited so long to see it. The fashion is also top notch - I love seeing the old dresses and jewelry and hair from those times. There are some beautiful women in this so it's perfect for that.

FYI - If you have a hard time with older films especially ones with a lot of dialogue I'd suggest you start with something a little easier first like - You Can't Take It With You before moving on to this.

Tomatometer - 100%(since this film is really old the rating might be a little inaccurate)

The Thin Man was one of the most popular films of 1934, inspired five sequels, and was nominated for four Oscars (best picture, actor, direction and screenplay). Yet it was made as an inexpensive B-picture. - Ebert


1 comment:

Patria said...

I'm excited to see this! I also love old movies whenever I do sit to watch one.

Last Chance Harvey- I really liked that one for the reasons you mentioned.