Thursday, March 20, 2008

I just couldn't help myself!

Here's a picture of my hens the other day during a bad rainstorm. Though they can stay dry in their hen house I let them in on our back porch just because it seems a little safer from the driving wind. Did I say that I love my chickens? I really do. We have gone through several pets since getting married eight years ago but I haven't ever really gotten into any of them. Not so with my little hens. They are the perfect pet. They don't need me so I don't have some animal under foot all of the time - and yet I love to sit out back and watch them peck around and interact with eachother. They really do have the most animated personalities. And then they are so cheap! When we had our dogs or our cat I was always so startled by the price of their food. But with chickens it's only about $6 every couple months - who can be bothered by that? And then - they actually give you something in return! I am getting about a dozen eggs a week now - it's perfect. And that is why when yesterday I went to the local feed store to pick something up for them and saw some chicks for sale - I just couldn't resist!
They were labeled as "rare breeds" for $1.99 and once you've owned a beautiful chicken you just can't help yourself from being enticed by those two words. Here's an example of one great looking (but not rare) hen:(Marisa's got one of these)
Though there is no way to tell what kind of chickens I've gotten yet - there was a list of about 50 breeds that they could have belonged to - all rare. And these chicks aren't sexed - meaning that they could be male or female - only time will tell. Chicks are hard animals to sex - so even when they are "sexed" there is never a 100% guarantee. If we do end up with a rooster - we'll be able to tell in a few months and they won't be crowing yet. And if that is the case I think we will either try and find them a new home or have some frozen chickens in our freezer!

As for housing, we just got a bucket we had sitting in our backyard and filled it about 3 inches deep with pine shavings(you can get those at Walmart). I picked up another waterer and feeder for a few dollars and plopped them in their with a 100 watt bulb and tin foil cone. They seem happy and content. During the day they are on our back porch and at night we bring them in because of the cooler temperatures and the risk of predators. The chirping of the chicks will bring those rascally raccoons and those wicked hawks around if you're not careful! Between about 4-5 weeks we will be able to put them out back with our other three hens. I just got them yesterday afternoon and haven't had the chance yet to do a real photo shoot with them so these will have to suffice for now...I wanted to say that this one if my favorite but they are all so cute and different looking already that I just don't know...they really need some good photos taken so I'll get on that either today or tomorrow.

p.s. Chelsea - you really need to get a few of these...


2 comments:

Erika said...

How cool is this! I wish I could have chickens. Your right they are pretty cheap. :-)

My SIL and her kids just got some chickens too and they are loving them.

Why do they have to have a tin foil cone?

megan said...

Well, I bought an actual heat lamp but of course I dropped it and it exploded. So I went and stole a bulb from my kitchen. I put it in but they huddled around it a lot so I made a tin foil cone so the heat would be more directional and not lost out in every direction...get it? But I don't know if many people would recommend just using a regular bulb. My chickens are a week old now and don't require as much heat AND it's not too cold here so...but if you were starting from day 1 or 2 I think the heat lamp would be a must. They don't cost more than a few dollars - I'm just too lazy to go to the store again - especially when I know they won't need it much longer.