Thursday, May 21, 2009

Movie Review - Ghost Town

When my brother Weston told me about this movie I was pretty skeptical. First off, I hadn't heard of it and second of all, it is a romantic comedy. I tend to be leery of romantic comedies because a lot of them are terrible. But he said it was good and we watched the trailer and it seemed promising. It stars Ricky Gervais who is hilarious if you've never seen him before. He was the star of the BBC's Office and he is one of the producers on NBC's The Office. Costarring in this film with him are two people I love to watch - Greg Kinnear and Tea Leoni.

The premise is simple and the plot slightly formulaic. Meaning you pretty much know where it is going but the chemistry between the three characters is good enough you are up for the ride. Ricky Gervais is a jerk who has something happen to him so he is able to see dead people. When dead people find out that he can see them they all come to him with their problems. I know, it's not that original of an idea but Ricky Gervais reactions are so humorous that you don't care. In the end, it all ends happily and you feel good. Plus it's not sexy or raunchy and has a surprisingly feel good message. I definitely recommend this one and I'm glad Weston told me about it.

Rotten tomatoes rating - 84%(this is pretty darn high for a romantic comedy)

3 comments:

Kathy said...

this movie was HILARIOUS. matt and i died laughing the whole way through it. i was skeptical about it too - i hadn't heard about it either, and i despise tea leoni (sorry) - anyway, yes - GOOD movie.

Stephanie said...

i LOVED that movie. I first saw Ricky Gervais in Stardust, and even though his role was small I noticed how hilarious he was... I loved having him as the main role in a movie.

Patria said...

We liked this one too! I love these three main actors. The scene with the huge dog in the apartment with the fiance and also the huge dog and gagging was soooo funny.