So here are my chicks...I am getting more nervous by the day that some of them are cockerels but only time will tell. If you didn't know I got some chicks - I wrote about it in a previous post. I'm not ready to name them yet because you still can't tell what they are going to look like. In a couple weeks we'll be able to see their colors/markings better and I thought we could wait until then. I'm also not really anxious to name them because when you name something you bond with it and it just may be a cockerel. As always, you can click on any image to see it bigger. 

I'm leaning towards this one being a girl - just because of how her wing feathers are shaped. As you can see she's got really pretty buff coloring with white and tan and gold feathers on her wings.


This one is my favorite for some reason - I really don't know why. But if I had to bet I'd say this and the next one are cockerels. Once again you can see the pretty coloring. It's got really distinct markings on it's back and wings. It reminiscent of deer markings, isn't it? Maybe we should name it Fawn. I'll bet it's pretty when it grows up.


This one is going to be beautiful - it'll be sad if it's a rooster. I also love her eyes. They are big and look like they've got little eyelashes, don't they? Here's a closeup of it's wing feathers.
So they are a week and two days old. They will start laying(if they are female) in late July to early August. Until then...


10 comments:
what cutie's! i love hearing about your chickens! i really want to get some! they run wild everywhere here though, so people are like 'why do you want to buy chicks?' sorry we bogged on getting pics to you- just lift any of the planting ones you like right off the blog if you still want to use any...Happy Easter!
The top photo makes me think of the song from "Golden girls"
I want to thank you, thank you for being a friend...Why don't you stand up and take a bow..." The middle chick looks like it is ready to take a bow.
Don't chicks poop everywhere though? Not a fan of pets for that reason, although, having eggs at all times sounds great as I had to borrow 6 this past week...
Chicks poop everywhere but I keep them in a container with shavings so it doesn't bother me. Also, in about 5 weeks they'll be out with the hens and then I don't care about their poop at all. They poop a lot but unlike a dog or a cat it doesn't really smell and breaks down really quickly so I don't see it throughout my yard. I just notice it every once in a while when I've actually gone in their coop to get some eggs. And even then it's easy clean-up. It's more degradable - more like mud.
Would you agree, Marisa? She's got even more chickens then me so...
Yes, I have 5 hens right now and 3 chicks, I haven't ever had a problem with it.
Your chicks are beautiful. I can't wait to find out what they are, and their gender!
I love those pictures, so clear and pretty! Are you still holding off on naming them?
No, I haven't named them yet - but I'm still bonding with them so I might as well...
I am betting that your darker, black/yellow chick is a white Langshan. You'll have to wait for the tail feathers to come in to determine if it's a roo or not.
The middle, chimpmunk marked chick is a Ameraucana, or Easter Egger (more likely the later due to being from a feed store). This one you'll have to wait a little longer, but if the feather pattern stays pretty even, it's probably a hen. If so, you'll have green or blue eggs from her.
The yellow chick I am not sure about, but first thing that pops into my head is Delaware, though the feathers would be white and silver/black, so maybe not.
Hope this helps some! They sure are cute. I've got chicks running all over the place right now. Speckled Sussex, Delawares, and Buff Orpingtons, with Ameraucana, Araucanan, Easter Eggers, White Langshans, and Quail in the incubator right now.
Kim
http://www.blessedfarm.com
I take that back, lol. The chipmunk chick COULD be a Speckled Sussex, since in your previous post you mentioned they were all supposed to be rare breeds. If so, you'll find that one to be a really nice bird, either cockrel or pullet. I REALLY like mine.
Post a Comment