
I vacillate between two opinions -
1.) Your heart has somewhere/someone/something it wants to be/do and you should follow that because it will lead you to what you are meant to be doing. You should dig deep, think, pray and search to find the answer to your life calling and then never give up in attaining it. Once you know what you want you shouldn't let others discourage you or give you "the reality" of life or some horrible deflating talk like that. The desires of your heart were put there by God.
or:
2.) Life is like a long journey with many twists and turns and most of the time you really can't see them coming - and it's meant to be that way. You can't map out your life because it's just not possible - you really will be surprised by who you become and where you end up. The Lord has a path for you and your job is to just keep taking one step ahead - working to see what you should be doing today to bring happiness to yourself and those around you. You are clay in the potter's hands and you may not have the vision he has so you must have faith and put your trust in His plan - not your own because His plan will make you much happier than any plan you could come up with.
Now, I kind of believe both of these and yes they can kind of fit together but which is more your style? Which is closer to your way of living? Or the way you want to live?
In the end, are you dreaming and seeking your life's grand truth and calling, or are you anxious to find out where you are led? Now go vote!


10 comments:
I voted for the first one, but I believe that in all that working towards our dream, we can be happy along the way and enjoy the process and the opportunites to learn. We probably all have both huge dreams and smaller dreams that are easier to obtain. And if our dreams change or aren't realized the way we envisioned, that's ok because nothing is as constant in life as change. I like to think that as I work towards my dreams, I remain open to things I haven't considered or even imagined.
I am totally with you on that Patria. I think in the end you will always be surprised with how things worked out but I also think that shouldn't stop you from working towards specific goals - that are able to evolve but you are definitely working in some specific direction. I also think we are or should be happy along the way but maybe not "content". I don't mean material things - but there is no need for goals if we are totally content. Neither principle is mutually exclusive but being a dreamer I lean towards the first one for sure. At least on most days. I sometimes think when I am feeling the second way it's a way to cover up being afraid to reach for my dreams or being faithless. You know?
In some ways this post is silly because it is such a long and complex topic and in the end both of those things might mean the same thing...I guess I was just wondering how many of you are aching for something - dreaming and hoping and praying and working towards a plan or a vision of life. And how many of you are much more relaxed about it. And probably we're all a little of both on different days...So, I don't know...
You know, maybe it's not specific situations you are pursuing but more using certain talents that you have. For instance - let's say you know you are a good teacher - you may not know that you should use that talent here or there but you know that you want to pursue the use of it as much as you can...I dunno. That's why I'm posting about it....I just don't know.
Meg, I don't think one is truer than the other. Some people like to dream of pursuing things things that feel out of the ordinary... different from the life they have known. Others thrive on stability and predictability. I fit better into the second category, but I don't think it's because I don't ache for something or I am afraid of failing. I think my particular brand of happiness comes from the beauty of steadiness and order. I like to push the same button over and over again if I know it will make me happy. Sometimes dreams and their making get too messy and chaotic for me, so the process doesn't bring me happiness. I crave change for sure, but am usually able to satisfy that in small ways. I find that as long as there is order, peace, progression and something to look forward to, I am happy. The more I think about a life that is too different from what I know works for me, the less settled I become and the less settled I become, the less satisfied I am overall. You are right, we could go on for hours about this one.
i love it. it is complex. i like Meg, that you mentioned neither view is mutually exclusive and i like that chelsea talked about her brand of happiness. i love that in some ways, we are all built differently and different things bring us happiness. different 'ways of being' if you will.
cinderella
I've always felt that it's incumbent upon us to make a plan and then allow Heavenly Father to take us there via HIS vehicle...it's a lot more comfortable and satisfying ride that way. He can't pick you up and shove you toward a goal so it's up to both sides. Now I have to go take my Prozac.
Hmm, sounds like the discussion has been pretty thorough. Some times I feel very specific inspriation, but other times I think Heavenly Father cares more about the general idea than the specifics, as long as the specifics are congruent with important principles. I like all of these thoughts, though.
Number one, all the way!!! I love dreaming and persuing and working toward something.
Everything that is meant to happen is going to happen anyway, so you don't really need to focus on the smaller things--they take care of themselves.
I'm happiest when I have dreams and focus on them.
I love your posts!
Post a Comment