....I was sitting in my OBGYN's office waiting for my ultrasound. I was HUGELY excited. Mike was with me and we had gotten Elijah out of school so could find out if he was getting that sister he was praying for or another brother. Andrew was at my sister-in-law Anna Lisa's house since he was only 2 and wouldn't have really gotten what was going on.After getting there we found out that my appointment was an hour earlier than I had thought and they were going to make me come back the next week. I was sooo bothered - as any pregnant girl would be to have to wait. But then they decided they could fit me in if I would wait. We waited and finally got in. Immediately I knew something was wrong by the look on the technician's face. She then went out and got my doctor and when my doctor came in they checked a few things together and then they sent Elijah out. Once that happened I started getting tears in my eyes. Mike still had no idea that anything was wrong but I knew something big was about to happen. All I could say to my doctor was, "The baby isn't doing so well, is it?" She replied, "No honey, the baby's not alive."
It turned out that the baby died sometime in the days before the ultrasound - probably about two days before. We had to go out and explain to my excited 5 year old that the baby had died. We were all profoundly sad. It was really hard. We then had to make the calls to moms and dads and sisters and brothers to let them know what had happened. We still aren't really sure what happened with the baby. Though she was a little girl - 19 weeks along. She looked healthy but it appears that my placenta got some sort of infection which in turn in the weeks before my ultrasound made it so my baby wasn't getting the rich healthy blood it needed.
At that time we were living in Kingwood in a big house that we wanted to get out of and Mike was in a job that was going down hill because of the housing crunch. Here's my post from that time last year. I am sharing all of this because now this morning I was once again at my OBGYN's office waiting for my appointment. Except this time it's a week before I am going to give birth to my third son. We live two hours north of where we used to live. Mike is working in a new job with great oppurtunity and we live in a small rental home with five chickens out back. In some ways, we are so far from where we were last year and yet we couldn't be happier. If someone would have told me that in a year we'd be here with all of the changes that have gone on, I know I wouldn't have had the faith to believe them. In fact, my faith is what was most affected by that experience. It took me a long time to hope again. To believe that good would come in my life. I feel bad that I lost that hope so easily and I also feel grateful for a patient Father in Heaven who was willing to gently show me the way back to hope again.
I already was learning that you never know where you are going to end up but this year has really exhibited that for me. And even though you may not have any idea how things will all work out or how the path goes on or where it ends up - you cannot give up hope. I really hope now that I can gain the strength that nothing can beat me. That no matter what life throws at me I am going to keep going forward. That I won't ever give up. Hopelessness is an ugly place to be. I decided after the miscarriage and other things that were happening that I couldn't put my trust in the "arm of flesh" - meaning my husband's job, my house, or even the lives of my children or my husband. It's a hard thing for any mom to even fathom when it comes to losing a child or husband - but I now believe that even those experiences won't give us a "get out of life free" card. We cannot be beat. We must get up, brush ourselves off, and keep going. Though the pain will be intense and sometimes, if not often, seem overwhelming, I think if we are willing to get back up then we will be strengthened and joy will return to us.
I have been so blessed this year. By things such as this pregnancy, by a loving relationship with my husband, and by the little things friends and teachers have said. When we moved it had only been three months since the miscarriage and our new church congregation or ward asked us to speak - as is customary for the new people. The topic they gave us was, "Blessings after tribulation". I was like, "Are you serious? Did someone put you up to this?" At that time I had some things to say about that - but this year has been a case study in it. So, for all of you who are feeling like you don't know how you're going to get out of where you are now, or how you'll ever get what you are hoping for...don't worry - it's coming. And though it may not be the simple point A to point B that you thought it would be, all those extra stops in between will make the destination all the sweeter and fuller. As long as you don't give up hope in God. Keep on trusting. Even in if means you have to chuckle, shake your head and say, "I have no idea how this is all going to work out, but it'll sure be fun to see how He does it."
I'm sure many of you are learning these same things and could share amazing stories of ending up somewhere completely different then where you thought. Wouldn't life be dull if it were any other way? We should look back and remember those changes & share them - to remind all of us of the beauty of life and the necessity of hope. "For we are saved by hope" -Romans 8:24
So now, I wonder where I will be next April 24th?


15 comments:
Beautiful post. I keep feeling like my life has plateaued, but if I look back a year, two years, five years, I find that I'm a different person with different experiences under my belt. Some years are less thrilling than others, but they all add up to one big whole. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Cindy - you should know that your life is a constant inspiration to me to keep on seeking out beauty and to keep working on my talents and interests. I love watching all of the things you are pursuing and learning - even if I never make any comments!
I loved this post, even though it made me cry. It was a strange mixture of happy tears and sad tears.
It seems like the last year of your life has been a great example of the power of the human will to continue going forward, advancing, and renewing itself.
Wow! Thanks so much for those wonderful thoughts. This is truly something to think about. I too feel hopeless sometimes like everything is going wrong, nothing right. It's times like these that I feel others are inspired to share there thoughts and words. We all need reminders to focus on the good.
That was very touching.
awesome, heartfelt post megan! i love how you are a deep thinker and deep feeler. :)
(((HUGS))))
You amaze me! You have such a way of putting things to make me analyze my life and see things in a new and better life. Thank you!
What a beautiful message, Megan! You are blessed with the ability to put your thoughts and feelings into heartfelt words. Thank you for sharing. Jessica
You are the kind of person that makes others crave tough experiences. It's too bad we can't learn everything we need to know by watching others. We all get our turns and hopefully we will react as well as you always have. You have always been so resilient without over-murmuring. A year later, the Lord is blessing you with a sweet, straight-from-heaven son. I can't wait to see him so I can kiss his neck...I love baby necks.
You are the kind of person that makes others crave tough experiences. It's too bad we can't learn everything we need to know by watching others. We all get our turns and hopefully we will react as well as you always have. You have always been so resilient without over-murmuring. A year later, the Lord is blessing you with a sweet, straight-from-heaven son. I can't wait to see him so I can kiss his neck...I love baby necks.
I can't only imagine how devastating that experience must have been for you - and I hope to never find out :-( Your perspective now is inspiring :-)
it's amazing how a year can change things, eh? you are such a strong woman, megan. i'm so happy that you will have your new little baby soon. can't wait to see pictures of him!
Meg,
With a baby coming for me your experience from last year is so much more poignant. I am so sad that you went through that and sadder now realizing how little I did to offer any comfort. I am sorry. I am so excited for our babies to be born and am especially proud of how awesome you are. In every way, I look up to how true you are to yourself and to this life, which is meant to make more of us than even your far-fetched dreams can fathom. I love you and will see you soon...
For one terryifying moment I thought you were going to say that something was found to be wrong with your baby!! I'm completely relieved that that was not the case - and that you are standing where you are today...able to be positive, forthright, retrospective and a source of beneficial wisdom for those that know you. I love your thoughts on 'hope' - it made me think of how the scriptures refer to a 'brightness' of hope. I don't think you can really comprehend how true that observation is until you've had to apply it in your life. Thanks for confirming that knowledge...
Good luck next week!! I hope everything goes beautifully for you...;)
everything i want to say has already been said. what a great post.
Post a Comment