Thursday, April 10, 2008

Baby booties from an old sweater...

When I read the challenge on blue yonder I was SO excited to come up with something. I had a hard time falling asleep for several nights as I thought of all of the things I might make. I finally decided I wanted to make something from felted sweaters so I went over to the local thrift store in search of wool sweaters. I was bummed though when the girl working there said that just the day before she had pulled all of the winter clothing and put it in storage. So, pretty let down, I looked around the store and found no inspiration in anything else there. A few days passed and as I was cleaning up my boy's room I found an old sweater vest that my husband had accidentally put through the wash. I kept it because I thought that the cabled knit looked cool once it was felted. Then I realized I could still make my project though the sweater is red so these little booties probably won't work on the little boy that's coming at the end of this month. So, here it is...

Here's the sweater I started with...
I had no idea what I was doing since I've never made anything like this so I made a pattern on some yellow paper and then traced it out on some cotton.
I sewed that together just to see if it would work and though it doesn't look like much, I was more confident that I could move forward...
Here are the pieces all cut out and ready to be sewn. I did it by hand because the felt was bulky and the pieces were small so I think that's the only way it could be done.Ta-da! My first one is done. I was even able to use the button and the botton hole from the sweater - I'm glad because I didn't know how I was going to sew a button hole by hand!
And here are the finished booties. I still have plenty of felt left and I think I'll make a little rattle or a little bunny or something with it. But for today, I am done. My coloring is terrible on these so that the felt looks different in every photo...oh well.
It was actually a really easy project. I like felt because it's so forgiving and you don't have to sew any seams. And aren't they so cute? Now I've just gotta get this baby to come!

p.s. I made a little friend to go along with the booties. Does this strange looking little guy make you all realize how bad I am at doing things like this? Even though he is strange - Andrew couldn't wait to get his hands on him.

9 comments:

Tyan said...

I'm so impressed!! I love them!

Emily said...

Wow!! Megan you are amazing.

megan said...

Thanks Ty!

megan said...

& Emily!

m. said...

did you say your little boy won't get to where them? i totally think you could put those on a little baby boy.

maybe you could use the extra felt to make some booties to send to a friend!? just a thought...

p.s.- check out these stuffed items...

Patria said...

suuper cute! i would totally put those on a little boy too! no question! hey, mark took pictures of a Hawaiian family from Kingwood-they left a comment on mark's blog- where they said they knew the Arntsen's- its the big family photo shoot post. They are such a nice family.

megan said...

You guys would really put those on a boy? They look like little mary janes to me - like little annie shoes. We'll see, I guess.

Pat - the Naihe's - cool! And why is Dee Jones commenting on your blog? Small world!

megan said...

I made the little toy to go along...I didn't do it right but it's my first attempt at making a doll of any sort...I like weird looking stuffed animals but this may be a bit too much for me...

Kevin Pratt said...

Even if he doesn't wear them, they would be super cute on a shelf, don't you think?!