Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Children's Books: Blog-Hopping

Megh asked that we post about our favorite children's books and here are a few of mine:

Mike's mom gave this to Elijah for his first birthday - it was a board book and we loved it. I loved it because it was about self-expression and Elijah loved it because it was full of beautiful colors and Dr. Suess. It is still a staple around here...it's just missing the front cover!
I had this book when I was a kid and we bought it for the boys too. I just love the cat family and there many adventures. This one is being held together by lots of duct tape - we all love it. Oh no, Mr. Frumble still hasn't caught his hat!
This is a must for everyone. If you didn't realize it, it's by the same guy who wrote "Where the Wild Things Are" and it's great. You have to know how to read it to really appreciatte it. We once watched a reading of it and realized it was so sing songy - more like a slow jazz song. I love to read this one and the boys love to see someone make an airplane out of dough and fly it "up and up and up over the top of the miiiilky way in the night kitchen". They also love the nudity...it makes them giggle.We got this one free from chick-fil-a and honestly I love it. I love bears though so that might be part of it. But the paintings are amazing and the story is so cute. Though I really can't now get into the whole series...I like the original and the rest seems to pale in comparison.

And last but anything but least comes my favorite story to read to them...We have this and another one from the same series and I just can't get enough of either one of them. Who doesn't want to read about Poppy and Sam and their beautiful adventures on the farm? And I just love their clothes/hair/names/house/farm. It's escapist pleasure for me. When I went to get this image from Amazon I realized there is a whole huge book of all of their adventures... and if anyone was really wanting to get a present for me...
So that's it. Meghan came up with a good idea here - I'd love to see what all of you love to read to your kids. It's hard to narrow it down and even now I feel like I am going to miss some huge book that I love...but oh well.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

we have the complete set of the farmyard tales! my girls LOVE those stories. Usborne has some great books - I went to one of their "parties" that my friend was having one night and got the farmyard tales and a bunch of other books. anyway - good picks.

Emily said...

I had Richard Scarry book growing up and my kids love reading them at my folks. We, too, have the complete set of farmyard tales and the kids never tire at the beginning line: This is Mrs. Boot, the farmer. She has 2 children...They have it memorized and help read that part.