Monday, April 14, 2008

Another man's treasure...

Doesn't every body dream of finding some hole in the wall thrift store that no one goes to and yet it holds complete treasures? I thought stores like that were things of the past because of ebay and dealers but I've found one! I had driven past it a million times. It's this junky little place with bars on the windows with a tiny parking lot in front. I finally ventured in and struck gold. I've only gone 5 or 6 times since and every time I find something amazing. If you are looking for mid-century furniture, retro typewriters, books, toys, etc. you are in luck! And the best part is that there are no price tags so you bring something up to the front and in your most nonchalant voice possible say, "How much are these?" and every time they look at what your getting like it's complete junk and say, "A dollar." Or for this cool sofa I got, "Five dollars?" like, would you pay that for this sofa?...and I try to remain calm and say very quickly, "I'll take it!" If I were to add up the value of the few things I've gotten there in the past three months it would be in the hundreds for sure but I don't care - I'm not selling them. They are all for me.

Another time I found one of these - in near perfect condition. I honestly had seen this toy and wished I could get it for my kids but it was soo expensive I knew it didn't make sense. Well, when I found it at the store they gave it to me for $5 bucks! See how much it usually costs?!
And it happened again today...

A couple of years ago I went to a used book store to find some cool old books that I could put in my boys room as decoration and also for use. You know, like real simple or Martha Stewart always has the coolest stack of books in all of their rooms? Well, I found some perfect ones and finally got the lady to give them to me for about $4.00/each. I couldn't afford many for that price so I picked out my favorite six depending on color/subject. Well, I've loved those books. They have been the inspiration for my entire boy's room. And they love them too because they are all about science. Well today at my fav store I first found a really big fish bowl and immediately picked that up. It doesn't look big but if you see Andrew's hand in the back you can see better it's size. Then I wandered over to the book section just to look real quick and happened upon all of these, from the same series I had gotten before: I starting breathing quickly and looking around to see if anyone was watching. At other thrift stores it seems the minute you look interested you get a crowd around you to see what you are looking at in case you put it down or look away. Well, the only other lady in the store was not interested in the slightest so I ran up to the front and asked for help getting them down. I had no idea what they would cost but there were 34 of them, they were in beautiful shape, and I wasn't going to let them go. I took them up to the front and the girl looked at them and started typing on her calculator. I was thinking maybe she'd charge me $50 bucks and I was willing to pay that. She turned around and said, "If they are a quarter a piece that makes it $8.50, that ok?" I about died and said, "YES! That's great." and the fish tank was another $.75 cents I think. So here were are. We went to the pet store and picked up the fish, named Arthur, and the stuff for the tank.

And we are all very happy with our days conquests.

12 comments:

Tyan said...

Beautiful! I'm stopping by there on the way home! (do you know how late they're open??)

megan said...

I'm not sure but I think they're open at least until 6:oo...GOOD LUCK! And make sure and tell us what you find. I saw a couple big drum lampshades there - but I forgot about them when I found the books. Those might be worth checking into.

megan said...

And there's a cute little chair too - but Mike hates when I bring home chairs.

megan said...

p.s. Tyan - don't tell anyone else in town about this...we've got to keep it on the down low... ;)

Kathy said...

i had to laugh about you trying not to show how excited you were about the prices - i do that all the time at garage sales and such. anyway - great finds!

Chelseapratt said...

That is so inspiring. It makes me want to go to Goodwill right now! There aren't usually amazing things there, though. Maybe I will try that sick looking place on 494 in Porter.

megan said...

Chels - Familytime(that's the name of the 494 place)? It's ok for some things...I never looked that much there except at clothes. You should try it out.

m. said...

family time is so disappointing. i love that couch! those kind are the best because you feel like you can really clean them. i am totally defensive when it comes to finding good thrift stores. i can't believe you told!

Patria said...

ooooo- you scored! super jealos of the good local thrift store! i love that fishbowl. and books like that are to die for! what a price!

RightHahn said...

I want to see the inside of the books:) They look really fun!

Kricket said...

Megan,
How fun are you! I love that I can feel your great personality through your blog.
Kricket

Weston Arntsen said...

Family time does have one amazing offer, or at least used to, where the 2nd Wednesday of the month, you could fill a brown grocery bag with anything (or maybe just clothes) for $5. I had to stop going because i think i'm allergic to whatever's floating in the air there. or mabye just allergic to families...