Monday, January 14, 2008

FHE Bowling & Self-Effacing Humor

Tonight for family night we went over to the Texas A&M's student center to go bowling. My score - I finished last - was a measly 63 - my two year old scored 64. Anyhow, my post isn't really about that, but what happened at the end of the game. Andrew needed to use the restroom and since Mike had already made one trip there with him that night - I couldn't really get him to take Andrew so I had to take him. When asking about where the restrooms were located the girl informed me that the first three stalls in the women's restroom were "female urinals".

Female urinals? I was intrigued - no, excited to reach the restroom and see exactly what this meant. I acted like, "Gee, that's strange but I'll never use one of those..." But inside I knew I was up for the experience. (It's kind of been a secret jealousy of mine - I have four brothers and now two sons.) Anyhow, when we got there I got Andrew situated in his stall and headed back to the urinals. Amazingly I found an image of the internet of the actual urinals in that very bathroom - some site catalogs all of the female urinals around the country - most seemed to be at universities.

Well, there weren't any instructions and I was pretty sure I could figure it out on my own. At first, everything seemed to be going pretty well - it was kind of fun - but then suddenly things spiraled out of control(literally) and I was left with a mess.

The thing about peeing on yourself as an adult is that you still have to pull up your pants and move on. It's kind of weird. You just stand there for a second not knowing what to do. No diaper bag change of clothes - no patient mother to sort out the mess. Just mother and her own mess. I actually feel really bad for the janitors. Oh well...

It appears there used to be instructions above the urinal on the wall - I looked and they weren't there tonight. I REALLY could have used those...
In the end, the question is - were people - women specifically - demanding to get these installed in the restroom? Did anyone think, "Man, I sure wish we had female urinals. That would be soo much better..."? And have any of you experienced the female urinal? If so, was your experience much like mine or were you more of a "natural"?

p.s. There's a part of me that wants to go back there and master that thing. Just to regain some self respect.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! Can I just say - Randy could not stop laughing about this post!!! He had like a 1000 questions about why such a contraption doesn't work as easily for boys as it does for girls....and I can't stop laughing long enough to defend our femininity:)

I, of course, share your interest/jealousy in the finer art of boy urination. It has always seemed wrong that the same bodily function has to take girls twice as long to complete as boys. Remember us trying to pee like boys at camp? At least then it was just water to clean up though...right?

Kathy said...

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is hilarious! interesting. . . it's got to be easier than peeing on a fire, right??????????? :) THAT was uncomfortable. . .

Anonymous said...

Really, is a female urinal neccesary? It doesn't really look that different from a toliet. It all seems to involve squatting. Now do female urinals have stalls? or are they out in the open like the men's?

Emily said...

Brutally honest!! Thanks for the tips though. If I ever find myself in such a situation I hope to be able to skip the mess part.

Unknown said...

I can't stop laughing!!! I know the same thing would have happened to me. I don't know that I would have had the courage to try it though.

Emily said...

This is the best post ever. I have been laughing for like 10 minutes already. No offense to the man (yes, it could have only been a man) who designed the female urinal but I can barely pee in the woods withouy peeing all over myself, let alone having to aim. Craziness. You are one brave woman! Cheers to you!

Kevin Pratt said...

I laughed until I cried. This is too good to not share and I will be putting it on my blog.

Unknown said...

Yes, I will be linking this from my blog as well! I want to know what Michael said/did when you told him.

megan said...

Lins & Kathy - yes, we have had prior experience along these lines so I totally thought I was prepared!

Marisa - well he could immediately tell something was up and I said first thing to him - I've got a new blog post. He asked what about but I told him I couldn't tell him until we passed that girl. He laughed and was totally curious about the female urinals. He just thought it was really funny and he wished I had taken a photo.

megan said...

I am now BANNING anyone else from putting this on their blog! I woke up tuesday morning wishing i hadn't posted this at all - and now - MY PEE STORY IS GOING TO CIRCULATE THE WEB! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Patria said...

hilarious as usual. cute vintagey picture you found too!

Lynds said...

Megan, this has to be the best story EVER!!!! I couldn't wait to read it to my husband when he got home. I love your blog and your cute family. I'm glad that we found Chelsea, thus finding you, and Patria etc. Your long lost cousin, Lyndsay

Stephanie said...

if i had known you posted a story about peeing on yourself, i would have come back from my blogging hiatus a bit sooner...

Vanalee said...

Okay, so these look like the traditional toilets they have here with one exception...the ones here in Japan are in the floor...I avoid them if at all possible. Most restrooms have pictures near the door to the stall that show which type of toilet is in inside. They assume that no one needs instructions and if they had them they would be in Japanese! At least you didn't pee on your hand the way Marisa always did at camp.

Dan and Dee said...

I have to jump in here. Funny story Megan. I went to Vietnam this past Oct. and there was a urinal like this on the floor-welcome to Asia as Vanalee said, there you stand and squat over it-and of course the people there can actually squat. I stepped too far back and had a wonderful experience. In the stall they have a tub of water and next to the tub they have a pan with a long handle to scoop water out to "flush" the toilet. The one you pictured is tame compared to what I saw, however, it wasn't an open stall! OH, and the toilet said "American Standard" I beg to differ!!