Monday, January 21, 2008

Come on down!

Hawks, Raccoons, Dogs, Possums!


Come on down for the bi-weekly chicken dinner - whether you catch it by flying down from the sky, learning how to open a chicken coop - or our newest discovery - by digging in in the middle of the night - it's up to you and part of the fun to discover how YOU are going to get to those little tasty hens!


***DON'T FORGET THE CHICKEN IS FREE!***


Elijah went out to check for eggs this morning and came back and said, "No eggs but I can't find Cinnamon anywhere - there are only three chickens." I thought she was just roosting somewhere in the coop and he couldn't see her so I went out and looked. The first thing I noticed was their feed was completely gone and then the hole - yes, I was a little worried about them digging in but I thought it wasn't too much of a worry since they hadn't done it yet...then I saw Cinnamon's feathers EVERYWHERE! I don't know how I missed it before but her feathers were all over the place! Then we tried following the trail of her feathers through the yard. I don't know why - was I hoping to find her mutilated carcass so my six year old son could see his dead pet chicken? Needless to say, we didn't find her.The hole - notice how smartly they moved the brick!You probably can't see her feathers but they are the little red things everywhere.

Maybe I need to rename the blog to - how to kill a chicken without even trying.

Anyhow, I promise more happens in my life besides dead chickens. I just need to post about them...

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Mmmm - that cooked chicken looks really good :) but sorry about your missing, presumed dead, chicken. i think your next step is to build a cement wall around them :)

Unknown said...

Keep your chin up Meg.

megan said...

So this morning I went back out there and the raccoon tried to dig in again - but this time he met my chicken wire! Ha! Yesterday I put chicken wire in on the floor too. I was really excited to see I finally beat them. At least for now - Mike isn't so hopeful - he's pretty sure they'll figure out another way to get past our defenses.