Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ham-eating City Slickers

When trying to keep Andrew happy in the car today I was talking about how someday in Idaho we'd live on a small farm and have all sorts of good stuff. I mentioned that we might even have a pig. He loved that idea so I thought I should let him know now what the reason for keeping a pig was for. I said, "Now remember, if we got a pig it would be so when he got big we could eat him."

Andrew drew back in horror, "No mom, pigs are animals, we don't eat animals!"

Well, my bacon loving son, I'm afraid Mr. Zuckerman was more of a purist than yourself. If we get a smelly hog - it's for eating...I think.

I've thought about someday buying chickens for eating and it doesn't bother me too much. I'd also like to get a turkey so that it would hit maturity right at the end of November. That way I could ensure they were happy animals and that they ate healthy and organic - just for a lot cheaper than the store could give me. But there's something different about pigs. Their eyes move and they blink - I'm not sure I could raise a pig for meat. And they are supposed to be one of the smartest animals out there - right up there with dolphins. Though once again I could make the argument that it doesn't stop me from having ham sandwiches and things - so I might as well get my ham from the happiest pig around. And then I remember the scene in that old animated Charlotte's Web were Wilbur finds out what he's for...and I am overcome with guilt.

That darn Charlotte's Web - it's ruined me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah...we had a pig growing up. He was soooo fun. We used to ride him around the yard (piggy back:)) When by dad had him slaughtered we all went on ham/bacon strike. I think my parents ended up selling the meat. And they never raised another pig - it was just tooo sad...and unproductive (farming wise).

I want to hear more about the Idaho thing. Do you guys have dates and official plans?

Kathy said...

my girls LOVE charlotte's web! and yes - hannah has also said "we don't eat animals mom, that's mean" . . . . eeeeeehhhhhh ok. anyway - when you do move to a farm - we're coming to visit for a tour and some bacon :)

megan said...

Our lease is up here in August so sometime around then we are moving up to Boise! Mike is looking into the jobs thing and has a few options. But even if he doesn't have a job by then I think we might still be moving. Our rent - since we live in a college town - cannot be month to month. So it's either then or a year later. We're excited!

Syphus Family said...

We LOVE Charlotte's Web! Good luck with the big move. Troy lived up in Boise and just moved last summer. Sounds fun!