Monday, December 31, 2007

Thou shalt not covet*

*The real title for this post is actually, "Thou shalt not covet other people's lives according to their blog"
My friend, who is sort of new to the blogging arena, has just experienced her first bout of blog induced depression, let's call it BID. I tried to explain what I have learned since my first BID - and since having my own blog for a while - and that is that I kinda know that the life according to blogs isn't a real one - just a peek into the best part of someone's life. I used to be so overwhelmed when I'd read other people's blogs and I'd think, "I'm a loser who has accomplished nothing and has gone nowhere with my life." I don't think that way anymore. I now see their blogs as a way to relax and live their life by proxy. Especially if they live in Hawaii on the beach or if they are an amazing graphic designer who blogs her amazing trips around the world. I no longer want to be living their life but I sure enjoy getting a small idealized window into it. It's like reading a novel or watching a movie. Not only do I get to keep up with them - I also get to be entertained by their stories and their experiences. Without having to pay their bills or face their challenges.
And on my blog I hope to give a glimpse into something of my life that may either be different or may be something we all feel - like BID. Every once in a while someone's blog may get to me if I am feeling especially down - but mostly I am excited if they are doing things because it means for some interesting reads! Like seeing crazy wild animals in a friend's freezing backyard. Or laughing at hilarious pranks people are pulling on their friends and family. Or hearing the cutest things your kids are saying or seeing the horrible messes they are making that you are having to clean up. Or getting good recipe ideas or fun family activity ideas. I love it!

What has been your experience with blog induced depression?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan.

I myself haven't had BID, but I just wanted to say I now check your blog everyday at work, and I love it. So just so you know other people think your life sounds pretty great too.

By the way this is Vicki Tollemache from highschool.

If you were wondering, I commented once before as a fake Taiwaneese fan asking you not to privatize your blog.

megan said...

Vicki! I'm so glad you commented - you REALLY need to start a blog too - I can never remember my myspace login so I never get on there to check out what's up with you.

I don't know who I thought the Taiwaneese fan was - weird.

Patria said...

I love your posts Meg. Mark and I talk about this sometimes- I like the acronym you use BID. I remember I wanted to write an article in some kind of publication about how the blog world impacts our perception of others and ourselves...a blog is a presentation- its what people want you to see...sometimes it feels very plastic and contrived- I feel that on some people's blogs more than others, but keeping that in mind, its such an interesting phenomonen! I connected with people I never would have maybe connected with in the same way and what a cool exchange of information that takes place often between blogs! I love how I've been able to connect with you! As I get to read your thoughts, I see so many commonalities and also things I admire about you. I love it! Its fun to see how people's dreams are different too- what Mark and I consider our dream, others would never seek. I remember that post you did about your dream life, down to the details of the boots you would put on in the morning- loved that... I want to do a similar thing. People obviously enjoy reading your blog- that reader map is scattered over the world!

Kathy said...

please - i am the worst for getting depressed abotu other's blogs. but you're right - i'm not paying their bills or living their lives - so i don't know what it's really like. i actually sometimes cure my BID by reading my own blog. it helps me focus on and realize the cute/fun things in my day - instead of the crying/screaming/fighting/whining in my day. i guess i could blog all that if i really wanted too. . . anyway - great post. i love reading your blog and the thoughts in your head and the things in your life. i agree with beachcomber (patria?) it's a great way to stay connected with old friends and get in touch with people you haven't talked to in forever. you have such a talent for verbalizing how you feel - i'm horrid at that - thus why my blog is mostly pictures - heh. anyway - cheers on this post.

megan said...

Patria - i want to hear your dream life down to what you wear on your feet!!! i love your blog. i wish we could hang out more - or ever! maybe someday...

Kathy - I read my blog as therapy too! It does the same thing for me - and I'm glad to hear that your day is full of the same things as mine typically are! when i write about the things that are going on it's almost like a gratitude journal - I have to look past the mundane and see what's really going on. and also - places always look prettier in photos - cuz you can't feel the heat or hear the mosquitoes!

Stephanie said...

i go through stages...sometimes i want to drop out of blogging altogether so i can avoid those feelings, and other times i enjoy blogging for what it is. totally depends on my mood. and my mood can totally depend on what i read on blogs that day. so it's a vicious cycle. as are most things in life, so i'm just learning to deal, and appreciate my blessings.

Anonymous said...

If I had enough time - I think I would be a total blog addict. They really are wonderful. Especially those belonging to friends and family. I love catching snipits into everyone's lives - and gleaning from all the tips, reviews, ideas and dreams posted on them. All of which are in abundant supply on this blog:)

I haven't experienced BID as of yet - but I can totally see how that could become a possibility. 'The grass is always greener' comes in all forms...even the web-induced kind, right?

megan said...

The blog that used to really get me is howaboutorange.blogspot.com . That girl is some kind of crafty lady and she makes me feel like I do nothing with myself and I start to wonder if I am even creative at all. Needless to say I try not to look at it too much anymore. It's all really great stuff. I still don't know the answer to that question - i.e. am i really that creative? - so I just blame it on being a mom of young kids right now and let that suffice.

megan said...

Ahhhh! After saying I don't go to How about Orange anymore - I went. And linked to all of the amazing sites and blogs. At first it was exciting but with sudden and near violent force it took a turn towards depression. Why are there so many people doing/making so many cool things - and I'm not?

p.s. It wasn't really nearly violent....that was just for the drama of it all.

Stephanie said...

great- so you made me go to how about orange just now too. i've decided that people like that just have the natural talent for it, and don't really have to work that hard to keep up a blog like that. i mean, SERIOUSLY- that would be a full-time job. so it's probably just second nature to her to throw up a few posts about crafty things she made in five minutes.

so, i'm just going to accept that that's her big talent, just like i accept that some people have the talent for politics (something i will never be good at, nor even really that interested in), and i'll gain from their talents without killing myself to be as good as them at it.

if you can't tell, i'm having a good day as far as BID is concerned, otherwise i'd be in the throes of depression over that orange blog too.

Kevin Pratt said...

OK, so I refuse to look at the blog you are all talking about because I get BID just looking at your blogs! It seems trite to say that everyone has different strengths, but some are crafty, some organized, some don't procrastinate, some are reliable, some are good at teaching their children important things, some are good at listening, etc. In the end, I want to accomplish a lot, but the Lord doesn't expect "crafty"...at least I hope not! My BID came a few days ago, but I'm over it. Truly, blogs represent what people want you to think their life is like. Every once in a while, we should all post pictures of the corners of our bathrooms or insides of our cabinets just for a reality check.

megan said...

Just so you know - the BID person I described was actually Mike! He hadn't ever really looked around at blogs so when he did he got it bad! For a night at least.

Anonymous said...

Came across your blog while doing a "knorpp" search and have enjoyed looking at it from time to time over the last maybe 8 months or so.
My daughter just graduated college so it is fun to see all the little kid stages that you guys are going through. I noticed you may be coming through Amarillo on your way to Utah and now have received call from Billy Lynn confirming a possible stopover. Anyway, thought I would come out from just being a distant blog observer and say HI!
Have enjoyed your blog--
Raymond Knorpp