Friday, August 31, 2007

Weston Andrew - Koocherbina

Well, my little brother Weston finished up his two year mission this past week - my parents went to get him in Tennessee and he'll be back in Houston tomorrow - which is Saturday. I just wanted to post about how great a little brother I've got.
When Weston was little he was amazing at sports. I remember being at soccer games when he was only five and all of the parents would be rooting for Weston - commenting on his amazing coordination and abilities. And he was great. He played everything - and he was quick. He was never a big kid but he was playing in games at the park basketball court with kids twice his age.
Also, Weston is 7 years my junior and the youngest which put both of us in awkward positioning when it came to hanging out. My friends would come to get me and Weston would slink into the front room and be cute for them all and then whisper in my ear to see if he might join us. It isn't exactly fun for a 16 year old to bring her 9 year old brother along so I'd say "No!" Tears would well up in his eyes and all of my friends would rush to his defence and insist upon his coming. Not because I had particularly kind-hearted friends(but they were nice) but more I think they honestly liked Weston. He was a smart kid and he could keep up with us teens. Though that might not have been too hard! He was funny though and made us all laugh. In the end I really did like having him there. Because I just thought of him as my kid brother, I didn't realize it until YEARS later but Weston has always been one of my closest and dearest friends.
Another thing about Weston is that he is really sensitive. Now, I know that in the world we live in today - or perhaps just in my family - being over-sensitive is like the kiss of death. But Weston isn't overly sensitive - he's just been able to keep a tender heart in a cruel world. I remember one night reminiscing with my older brother Spencer about the family dog that had been dead for about 5 years. We laughed about all of the old stories with Weston as our audience. When it was time for bed we turned out the light and I could hear Weston sniffling in the dark. The insensitive sister I am, I turned the light back on and said, "What is the matter!?" He said, "I just..sniff...miss..sniff sniff...Dulieka!"(our dog's strange name) I replied, "But Wes, she died when you were like 2!" And he said something to the effect of, "I know...but she sounds like a great dog and I really wish I had gotten to know her." Isn't that sweet? And now his sensitivity has increased and been directed allowing him to a greater abundance of the spirit in his life as well as a deep and sincere love for those he served in Tennessee and Kentucky. And the love was always reciprocated.
Weston is really nice - he doesn't talk bad about people and yet you don't ever feel like your hanging out with some Pollyanna or something. He's funny, witty, and gets along with whatever crowd he hangs out with. He's really loved. I like hanging out with him and would take him along teary eyed or no if he ever asked. He's also pretty confident. Right after we moved back to Texas and Weston was a senior in high school he had a big party at my parent's house at which his band played. I watched him get up with all of the girl's in the room watching him with starry eyes and play his guitar and sing REALLY well. I forgot to mention that - he's really musically talented as well! He's really one of those people who are good at everything but don't go around making sure everyone knows it.
Somehow even with 5 older siblings constantly telling him what to do and not do - he ended up showing us all up and being the best of all. And yet letter after letter from his mission he talked about how grateful he was for all of us back home. And we're just a big group of bums comparatively. I am so proud of my brother and he deserves it and more. I am glad he's home and I am excited and grateful to see the man he will yet become. Some lucky girl will someday get this kid brother of mine and she is going to be one of the luckiest girls in the world.

I love you Wes.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow. You and Mike look SO young in that last picture.

Anonymous said...

weston really is that great. i wish he were coming to utah. have fun this weekend. i m excited for you. what a great kid & what a sweet entry..

Anonymous said...

It was SO good to see Weston today, and your tribute to him is well written and well deserved. He can make James (in fact all of us) laugh like no other,and we love him like one of our own. The fun begins again in 24 days!

Vanalee said...

I love this entry! You are a wonderful sister. Alex comes to Tokyo next week. It's amazing to think they are all old enough to actually come home from their missions.

Anonymous said...

Well put Meg - Weston was a super kid and is, I'm quite sure, the worthy recipient of the title 'Best Little Brother'!

I loved all the memories that came flashing back to me as I read your entry - One that stood out was Weston's 'knock-knock' joke phase. He could make the most random thing funny because of how sincerely funny he believed it to be...I think that must be an inherited Arntsen trait, though. You are all great fun to be around.

Wish him welcome home for me:)