Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bitter sweet

We just had the most wonderful weekend spent at Mike's parents house in Idaho. It was an excellent weekend filled with tomato harvesting, berry picking, and lots of relaxing. Elijah even announced that Friday was his best day ever. I wanted to go because I was literally sick of staring at the same four walls anymore - morning sickness is a drag. So we went and I couldn't believe the weight that was lifted by being a guest at someone else's house. I didn't have to worry about all of the tasks and chores. And Mike's parent's have a really dreamy place with a big beautiful lot. It was great. And so when the weekend was over I had to choose - either stay the week and have Mike return alone home. Or let the two oldest boys stay the week and me return with Mike. I can't tell you how many times I went back and forth with that decision.

I'm a boob - I don't like to be away from my man or my boys. I finally decided to stay but at the VERY last moment changed my mind and came home. Tomorrow is Mike's 30th birthday and I felt bad that he would be alone all week. I also thought I could get really organized again - early pregnancy is not one of my most organized times! But if I let myself think about chubby cheeks and sticky kisses - I can cry more than a little bit. I am going to have to keep myself busy this week so I don't miss them too horribly.

Does anyone else have that hard of a time being away from their kids? I know they are having a great time. In fact, when I told them I might go back to see how they would feel Elijah said, "I'll be ok Mom, but I'll miss you too." Andrew quickly added, "I won't miss you!" They're having a blast but I love those boys more than anything! I am rambling, aren't I? Anyhow, I miss my boys already and hope that I can make this week worth it.

And here are some images from a while back to keep me company until this weekend when their grandma brings them back to me.

6 comments:

Katie said...

It is very hard for me. You know how I told you it wasn't possible for me to do anything but cosleep? I was serious -- I just cannot let that baby out of my sight for more than a few minutes!

Now that my kids are older, it's a lot easier, but that's because of a combination of things. I've worked full time for over 4 years now. I've single parented while my husband was traveling for work or opposite shift parented for 2 years now. Last year my husband was gone for 5 months with no visits. After that long with no breaks, I am GLAD to have my kids go to Grandma's. "TAKE THEM, PLEASE!" I beg. However, they've only ever been gone for 2 days. And of course only the oldest two go.

Even if I love the weekend visits to Grandma's, I still desperately want to be a stay at home parent. When I interviewed for my first job, a lady told me how she couldn't wait to get back to work Monday mornings - she just couldn't handle her kids any longer. I was sickened and vowed that would not happen to me. It still hasn't. The first two years I worked I would get physically sick nearly every Sunday night. I don't get sick any more, but I HATE going back to work each Monday.

k.m. said...

i can't leave my kids either. i have only left B twice. My mom watched him once when he was 2 at our house and after the first day he went and got our picture to put in his room by his bed. Sad. I think all kids need a break from their parents. They'll appreciate you more when you're back together. At least for a little while. :)

Spencer and Kari said...

Happy 30th Birthday, Mike! We love you and are so glad you love Megan.

Kevin Pratt said...

I am a total wimp about leaving my kids. Now that they are older, it's a little easier, but it is so hard to leave babies and toddlers! I can remember weeping bitterly when I left Fisher behind for the family cruise. I missed him the whole time and couldn't wait to get back to him to kiss his neck.

Kathy said...

i'm terrible at leaving my kids. i hate it, SO much. even going out on a date (if we ever have the chance, heh) is hard for me. i would like to get out more and maybe even get away for a while with matt, but right now - it's easier for me to be home with them b/c i hate being away from them so much.
matt and i did go to disneyland a couple years ago(sans children) and it was SO much fun, but i did cry on the plane ride there, and called every morning and every night. . . . heh.
i'm sure the boys will have such a fun time and be really glad to be home at the end of the week!

Anna Beal said...

WOW!! You are Prego again? You are a brave woman. Congradulations! I am so exciteded for you. Oh and Happy Birthday to Mike :>