A lot has been on my mind lately - I'd bet it's the same for many of you. You can't turn on the television without so many issues bombarding you or read the mail without some new study coming out changing the way we see things. I check the news on google and at first I'd read about some study on this or that which said, "Everything we once thought is not true!" and the article would proceed to tell me I must change my diet completely or my belief system! But then a few weeks or months later another study comes out to say the opposite. And I tend to think, "These times are crazy - it was so much easier to live at such and such a time." But really it wasn't - life has always been and always will be VERY complicated. It's just that hind sight on history simplifies it because we are able to see the outcomes and the final word on many ideas and events.As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints(I know, I'm getting religious...)
I have a belief that God has always had a way to lead his children if they would listen. Just like the children of Israel, enslaved in Egypt, looking for a leader to guide them out of their oppression - we are looking for someone to guide us through the many issues of our time. And God always had the same way of taking care of his children. In the time of the flood he sent Noah. After that it was Moses, Daniel, Isaiah, and prophet after prophet. He always sent a prophet to lead his people because he loved them. He wanted people to know about the flood or the coming of his Son - one to whom could through His grace save them from all problems. And I don't think he changed his way of thinking on that. I believe that we have a modern prophet leading us and guiding us the very same way. I am so grateful that as I struggle and ponder and pray, I also have a man who has been called of God to lead and guide us away from confusion and keep us going in the right direction. Crazy, eh?If you want to know some of the things the leaders of my church have to say on the current hot topics you can go to the church newsroom. It's a site for media and others to get our official views on topics such as gay marriage, etc.
I also thought many of you would be totally unfamiliar with the idea of following a prophet - perhaps even a little weirded out so I thought I'd have a little FAQ section:
1.)Who is the current prophet? While I believe that Joseph Smith was the first prophet on the earth in a long time - since the apostles were killed in New Testament times - I believe he was the first in a long line of men called to act in that capacity. The current man is Thomas S. Monson. You can click here to read the wikipedia entry on him.2.) Is the prophet married? Is he paid for the position? First off, yes they are married and they usually spend most of their lives as normally as the rest of us - sometimes as doctors, lawyers, scientists, etc. Second, no, he isn't paid. If you didn't know it - we have no paid clergy in our church - we are all serving in different positions that are constantly changing. Like Mike's brother is currently the Bishop of his ward - which is essentially the pastor of a congregation. And he keeps his day job. Leaders of our church are typically called later in life to serve in higher positions in the church until ultimately they are called as the President of the Church - or Prophet.
3.) So every time he opens his mouth and speaks is that considered the word of God? No, not at all. The prophet is a completely normal man - albeit a good man. Which means that he is far from perfect. The only perfect person to ever be on earth is Jesus Christ. And though we believe that the prophet's calling is to lead us to Christ - he still is not perfect. But he does speak with that authority sometimes - just as in days on old. Those times would be in conference - which is a meeting held twice a year that is broadcast to all of the members of the church. And sometimes the church releases church declarations that are agreed upon and sustained by the prophet and his two counselors, as well as the quorum of the twelve apostles(yes we've got those too - we believe in the same organization the Jesus set up when he came to the earth.) And also, every month there is a church magazine which has an article from a member of the first presidency of the church - the prophet or his two counselors. Click here to read the current article.
4.)What about the Bible...isn't that enough? The scriptures are a gift from God to guide us on a daily basis and the counsel of our leaders should never contradict the words found in them. But as many of us are now feeling, they didn't talk about everything as specifically as we need in our day. We still need guidance and leadership to make sure those books are interpreted correctly and that the issues facing us are addressed directly.
5.) It's still kind of weird though...C'mon a prophet? I know, but no weirder than religion has ever been. No more strange than to believe a Man - who was the Son of God, came to earth and died for me. And then came back to life. And in so doing made it possible to be freed from the bondage of sin, sorrow, and ultimately death itself. Right? And in the end I believe what it says in the new Testament - that if you want to know something - you have got to ask God. And that He will tell you in your mind and in your heart what is true. I put a lot of things to that test in my life - especially my faith. This is a great summary of how that whole thing works on that newsroom page.
So, there you have it. Now you know a little bit more about us weird mormons, eh?
I used some Brian Kershisnik paintings without official permission- there's that word again. But he is a great artist and I love his stuff.


No comments:
Post a Comment