
I think when ever you have a baby you start to wonder how many kids you are going to have. You wonder, am I done yet? If not, one more? two? The other day I met someone my age who had an older sister with 11 children. I have an older brother with 8. But it seems to be declining - I think fewer and fewer are having large families. The average American family is now 3.14 - and that includes the parents.
Growing up, when I told people I had six kids in my family they'd always say, "Whoa - that's a ton of kids." but I never felt like it was that much because at church I knew people with way more - I even had a roommate in college with 18 kids in her family - all from one set of parents - and just one set of twins. So, six felt pretty normal. But now, six seems HUGE! I guess I'm just on the other end of it now and know where those kids have gotta come from - me!
But on the other hand, I also wonder if I'm just too young to know any big families in my generation. I wonder if people don't realize they are going to have that many until they do - many years in the future. What about you? Do you have a plan for how many? Do you not? If so, choose it in the poll. I think I know what most people will pick but I want to see if I'm wrong.


6 comments:
I couldn't answer the poll because I don't have a set number in mind. In the past (growing up, when first married), I wanted 8. Now I have no idea. Can I gain enough patience to learn to be a good mother to the ones I have, let alone more? If so, maybe we can have lots more. Who knows! I don't feel done necessarily, the way some people just know when they're done. Nor do I feel strongly that we're not done. I do wonder how it would work if we are "done". I am opposed to chemical birth control, IUDs, and sterilization for many reasons, primarily health reasons, but some moral. Barrier methods aren't the greatest, plus they're a huge pain. Natural Family Planning can be very effective, as long as you don't want to have "relations" when you want them the most. So I'm not really sure how not having more kids would work out for us in practice!
well - i wanted 5 - but every pregnancy got worse for me. . . so we decided to stop at 3. it makes me sad, but i also know we had to realize what was best for our family. anyway - so that's me. i envy anyone with good pregnancies. totally envy them.
My number is Four. My husband wants five. I have two, and my pregnancies are REALLY hard. I suffer with vercose veins in my legs and worse in the area I'd rather not describe. Alex and I also got a late start and we don't want to be already retired when our kids leave the roost. So if I can suffer through two more that would be good for me. I wish we had more room and recources for them, but living on a school teachers salary is tough. We'll see. Fun Poll!
we've talked about four, mostly because nick is scared i'll go insane with more than that, but i wouldn't be opposed to more- it's just going to depend on how we're doing at the time and if we feel like there should be more.
by the way, that picture is creepy.
well i haven't started having children yet but i have certainly started to want them! i have always wanted a large family (maybe 6 or 7) but chris thinks that's a ton! i think we'll probably have children until we want to stop. who can tell how things will go when i haven't even have experienced being a mom yet?
Post a Comment