Saturday, December 27, 2008

Be forewarned and do your research!

A couple months ago we decided that our beta fish, Arthur, seemed lonely and needed a friend. Now, I know betas are territorial fish but I thought, "Surely ours will get along with some company..." So we went to the pet store and saw these cute little frogs swimming around in their tank - labeled as $2.50/each. I thought, you can't beat that and bought one which we named Merlin. Well, unfortunately we were wrong and Arthur hated Merlin and so we had to put them in separate tanks.

And after a while we thought that Merlin seemed bored so we went back and got him a friend - Monstro. They really do seem as happy as can be together - especially since we got a huge 10 gallon tank at the thrift store. So, anyhow, this story is getting a little on the long side...

I wanted to find out a little more about our frogs and started doing some research. First I found that they are African clawed frogs. The frogs come from South Africa, can grow to be 12 cm long, and some have been known to live as long as 30 years. Wait! Did it just say 30 years!? I had no idea! So when Mike and I are approaching retirement our little frogs will finally croak? Great, just great. I should have gotten a dog - they live half that!

Needless to say, I also should have done my research before taking the plunge with my little 2 buck pets. Oh well, some only live for five years. Let's hope it's a little closer to that!

p.s. this is just a small section of their tank - they've got lots more room to swim around in...just in case you were thinking of calling animal protection on me.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

i WAS going to call animal protection on you. . .

anyway - fun on the frogs. we had a beta fish too - and i didn't know they were such aggressive little things. hannah's ate natalie's within a few hours of getting them home. . . we're done with fish.

Matthew said...

My brother got a turtle about eighteen years ago when he was all into the teenage mutant ninja turtle thing. Well, my poor parents are stuck with him now. He's huge, grumpy and we're pretty sure he's going to outlive all of us. His name is Leonardo in case you were wondering. (: Jess