Thursday, February 21, 2008

Not one is forgotten before God...

I know I've talked about eating animals before but tonight as I was reading the news I decided to watch the video that spurred the big beef recall. And it was very sad and made me feel guilty. I mean c'mon, are we really going to say that this was one crazy isolated event? I'd wager that their are animals being mistreated all over this world, every day, just like these cows were.

The title for this post comes from a scripture in Luke 12:6 that says not one sparrow is forgotten before God. And for that matter we can know not one chicken, cow, or pig is either. There is a great article from Hugh Nibley that was in the New Era in 1978. It's pretty deep but it addresses man's dominion and what that means. I am not necessarily advocating vegetarianism, but I whole heartidly believe that God wants his animals to live good, full lives. He has given them to us as a gift - even he used coats of skin to clothe Adam and Eve(Genesis 3:21) - but all of those things were to be used with gratitude and moderation. So, while I'm not saying that a true Christian(or general good person for that matter) abstains from meat, I might tend to believe that once a true Christian knows how factory farm animals are treated they abstain from eating meat from those sources. I have to believe that the Lord is not happy with the treatment of animals in this world and would surely expect us to at least spend a few extra dollars on our hamburgers to ensure they lived the life that makes them happy and that their were created to live.

If animals are around in the afterlife - and I think they will be - I think they will say they were glad to give us the gift of their milk and their meat but in return for a righteous master who took care and compassion on them. And I also think people who mistreat animals - like abusing their dogs and things - I think that will count against them at the "bar of God" so to speak. And if dogs, then why not cows? Don't you know a lot about a person by the way they treat animals? If someone I knew claimed to be a righteous God-fearing person and then they turned around and took no pain at whipping their dog, I'd say I might not be so impressed by their piety. We can say we don't need another thing to worry about but I really want to be free of the condemning words of the innocent animals in this life and the next. You know? After keeping chickens myself and seeing how much they love to run around the yard and how happy they are when they're scratching around, I feel bad that I don't let the chicken I eat come from the same lifestyle. So, amen to backyard farming, eh?

I know this post is heavy and wordy but I just wanted to put my two cents out there.
I really think the best option is for everyone to return as much as possible to some of the old ways - gardens, keeping chickens and other farm animals, etc. and getting the rest of our food from local farmers that we know and trust. Soooo many things would improve if we did. Our health, the environment(nearly 1/5 of all fuel consumption in the U.S. is caused by food transportation and production), the economy, our well-being, and the lives of all the little hens. I've got soo many things to say about that but will spare those of you who are still reading. I know that political posts aren't fun but I just couldn't contain myself this time. Forgive me!

Also I'm also adding a link to the video that caused that beef recall but it's really sad - I only watched a little bit before I had to stop. So, proceed with caution...

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That video is horrific. I cannot believe that the poor cows were being treated that way. I probably won't go vegan, but I sure will feel better about raising (and killing) my chickens in a humane way.

Patria said...

what do you mean "political posts are never fun." i LOVE political posts! i wish there was more discussion on political type topics. the way our society produces what we eat everyday is important...and this definitely reinforces the importance of backyard farming. i'm all for a few more bucks to support a healthy, more humane way to production. i think of chickens and cows every time i drive by a mcdonald's...and how gross that cheap food product is and the place it came from.

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, McDonald's has some of the most well regulated and humane slaughter standards in existence. They consult with a very renowned animal behaviorist named Temple Grandin for their slaughter plants. Maybe not the healthiest beef once they make it into fast food, but definitely well treated and regulated prior to that point. Look it up, do the research, then judge. I would argue that your typical McDonald's cow is treated as well of better than some of your organic or other humanely labeled beef products.

megan said...

Good to know anonymous. Who are you and how do you know so much about McD's?

megan said...

I'd also add that it's true that just because it says it came from "happy cows" or "grain fed" or even "organic" - that doesn't mean anything. You have too look a little more closely than that. At least that's what I've read...

Patria said...

anonymous is someone who works for mcdonald's or doesn't want to feel guilty for taking their kids to eat there everyday. enjoy your mass produced pressed chicken and antibiotic injected cow meat.

Anonymous said...

WASHINGTON, DC—According to a Department of Health and Human Services report released Monday, McDonald's meat from antibiotics-injected livestock is now the primary source of antibiotics for U.S. children, particularly for uninsured youths from low-income households.
"Unfortunately, some children still fall through the cracks in our health-care system, but luckily, McDonald's is there to lend a helping hand," Secretary of Health and Human Services Tommy Thompson said at a press conference announcing the findings. "So even if a child's family has no health insurance and can't afford medicine, virtually anyone can afford a delicious 99-cent Big Mac with pickles, cheese, and a heapin' helpin' of [the antibiotic] quinupristin-dalfopristin."

Vanalee said...

Megan, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I read "Fast Food Nation" a few years ago and when it described how cows are slaughtered it made me sick. So, when I saw the recent videos on CNN Japan I had to turn it off. I have never eaten much meat and am at a point where I want to stop completely. We thought we might want a condo when we come back to the states, but we are seriously considering buying a place where we can grow some of our own food. Maybe my chickens won't have to be in a tiny coop on the balcony!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous number 1 is a veterinarian with a background in Animal Science. I would like to point out that we were discussing humane treatment of the animals- not the quality of the end product (which I agree is not as healthy as other sources- or healhty at all for that matter). Don't work for McDonald's- work for a humane society, and also have no kids.

Anonymous said...

let's say i believed you about what you say you are (anonymous)- the discussion around antiobiotic injected meat IS about humane production practices because animals experience mass disease in cramped quarters. and even vets or animal scientists get sucked into the powerful PR put out by McD's.

RightHahn said...

I think it's great to be so mindful of the treatment of animals. I like how you made the connection between 'who people think they are' and 'how they treat the creatures around them'. I don't think enough of us take the time to pay attention to how we regard the amazing creations around us.

Is that story about Joseph Smith scooping up spiders to take them outside true? If that's where we all need to be in relation to treating animals kindly, I'm in huge trouble! I'm infamous for squashing anything that comes inside...:(