This is the camper when it's all closed up. It's not big - probably about ten feet long.
And here's what it looks like when you pop it all out. It's easy to set up and is a lot roomier than you'd think inside. It has a sink, a fridge, a stove, a king sized bed, a queen, two twins and a couple tables. Of course if you couldn't use all of these things simultaneously but it is good fun - way better than a tent.Once we set it all up one of Mike's best friends from high school, Devin, came and joined us for hot dogs and cheetos. He brought along a little smores maker which the boys adored him for. They were bummed that there were no campfires at the site.
We finally got all settled down and ready for bed about 10 P.M. which is WAAAAY late for little Peter. He's used to going down before 7 P.M. at home. We were really nervous about the whole thing and by this time we were terrified. Peter was literally bouncing off the walls. When we put him in his pack'n'play he thought it was pure hilarity to throw his body against the walls of it. It was a bad bad sign. As you can see here he was more than a little energetic.That night was long long long. Peter started waking and crying every hour and half which was really stressful since the campers on both sides of us weren't hard shelled so they could hear every little whimper. He finally stopped crying about 2 AM but then Elijah started to get scared and Andrew was cold. Then the dog needed to go out to the bathroom. Needless to say, all night long I kept telling myself that we were not going camping again for at least two more years. I thought getting the camper was a mistake. I was so bummed.
And then the morning came...
The first thing I said to Mike when I realized it was light outside and birds were chirping - I grabbed him arm and said, "We made it!" We were so glad that it was over. And when we unzipped our window and looked outside to see this, it was amazing...pictures don't do any of this stuff justice!
The first thing we did after breakfast was headed over to some petrified sand dunes. They are perfect for climbing - not too steep - just big red rocks.
And there are these little volcanic rocks that were embedded in the sand dunes and didn't wear away as quickly.
They are running up and down the whole thing - frozen in time like they were just tumbling down the sand yesterday. It was really pretty.
And here I am - big and pregnant. I was wondering how it would be but honestly it was better than being at home. It's not like I get a break at home - I still have to climb our stairs fifty times a day, do dishes, change daipers, clean...so camping was actually a great break.
Here's the older boys posing on the dune. It's as fun as it looks!
And here's Mike and Peter - don't they both look sooo exhausted?
But this, this made the night feel a million miles away. This was so breathtakingly beautiful - it was recharging. You wanted to sit down and never leave.
Told you!
And here's another view of the canyon we were in - we wanted to go explore these huge monuments but the hike was a little much for the youngins and the big pregnant lady.
Speaking of which - here I am - looking tired as well. Big belly heaving around me.
We ended the afternoon at a dinosaur museum. It cost us $18 for about 15 minutes of fun - literally. Oh well, it's all about making memories, right?
The drive home wasn't bad - we discovered that the song, "99 bottles of beer on the wall", if finished, takes about 14 minutes total. And I heard one of the best knock knock jokes of all time from Andrew...A: Knock Knock.We all laughed pretty hard at that one. I guess the words bum crack are pretty dang funny - especially when you're wondering how he's ever gone pull this one together...
M: Who's there?
A: Mr. Potato-head with cheese and mustard.
M: Mr. Potato-head with cheese and mustard who?
A: Bum crack!
So, that was probably way more than you needed to hear but...that was our one-nighter in St. George, Utah.
THE END.


6 comments:
Sooo hilarious! Now do you know why we hardly ever took vacations? Mom with no sleep is not a cute sight. I laughed so hard at this, mostly because I wasn't there. I can hardly wait to see you all! Mom
That looks like so much fun. We still have only driven through southern Utah on our way to CA.
Beautiful...no sleep makes for misery, but looks like it was worth it! I totally laughed too, loved the knock-knock joke!
al
i was laughing so hard at peter throwing himself against the pack n' play sides. so hilarious b/c that is what our girls did whenever we went to a hotel or whatever. (yes - hotel - there has been no camping. . . yet.)
anyway - it looks BEAUTIFUL. glad you had fun. and that is a cute pregnant picture of you! i love it!
Sorry to just ask a question when you have no idea who I am... I got here from another blog, but can you please tell me where that dinosaur print is? We are going through Utah this summer.
It's at a place called Johnson Farm in St. George. A man was clearing his farm land to get it ready for development when he found a large group of prints and fossils of all sorts.
Post a Comment