
This past weekend my mother-in-law turned 60 and as a surprise my father-in-law gave her a two week cruise of the Mediterranean. She will be visiting ports in Spain, Italy, Greece, Malta, and even Egypt! Afterwards she and I were talking about how she would need to get some new clothes including at least one coctail dress. I was wishing I had somewhere to wear a coctail dress and her trip seems like the best place in the world to wear one. I mean, c'mon, of all the places you want to feel beautiful I'd wager on the Mediterranean is at the top of that list. So, even though I don't get to go I still want to go "shopping" for a dress and want you to as well. I want you to go online and look around at different stores you love and find yourself a dress you'd like to wear while dining in Italy or on the deck of a cruise ship under the stars. Then come back and post a link in your comments. I will go and grab the image of the dress and put it up in my post with your name. Get it? Also, the bonus is you get to have the body of the model in the picture. So don't go to Lane Bryant and try and find yourself a dress because we don't need any reality in this game. I hesitate to post mine first because I'm think some of you might find a better dress that I'll want to steal but here goes:
I wanted something light and fun - with a little flavor to it. I looked at Nordstrom and then at J.Crew and finally narrowed it down to this one from Anthropologie:

This one is feminine and light and seems to be just the right thing for the warm evening breeze passing by. I didn't go for a more formal gown because I thought my jewelry could do the trick while still keeping a soft earthy feel in the dress. You might not feel that way - you might want a beautiful shimmering dress that is way formal. Just go shopping and show us what you find!
p.s. Let's also say that modesty is on hold for this too...
The first to respond is Mike J. - with this little ditty:
You'd look great it in, Mike.And Jamie's dress:
Jamie's looks straight from Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday - perfect.And these are both beautiful and sexy from Brooke:
The girl in that second image even looks like Brooke!Here are Lindsay's dresses:
So cute and I'm glad to that you showed us a great site for vintage dresses - I especially love the yellow one!And here is Nora's dress:

This is way cute - you should get this one!
And Patria's choices - you may need to click to see them bigger:

I knew Patria wouldn't disappoint - I especially love that last one!
And here are my cousin Erika's dresses:

Those colors are to die for!
And Melissa's amazing dress:

It doesn't seem that unreasonable a price after seeing the price of some of these other dresses!
Stephanie's dress:

I can totally see you in this dress - it's totally pretty.
And this pretty dress from Emily:

This is a beautiful flowy dress - I love the sleeves. (Emily said she'd prefer another color.)


15 comments:
Here is mine Megan. By thethe way I was looking for this at work and everyone probably wonders why I am shopping for a cocktail dress.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3026017/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014146?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014146&P=2
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3026017/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014146?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014146&P=2
Okay I fell in love with this dress. Just think how many ways you could wear it. Change your shoes and belt and you have a whole new look. This would be perfect for the Mediterranean. Ignore the $2500 price tag.
http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod41550043&parentId=cat276900&masterId=cat265908&index=18&cmCat=cat000000cat000002cat000009cat80001cat265908cat276900
fun! it would definitely have to be a maxi dress:
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/38054
or the classic flowy white:
http://www.freemans.com/Maxi-Dobby-Dress/productdisplay.stm?A=46R572_8&An=681&Au=P_MasterItem&N=428+583+604&Nu=P_MasterItem&RecType=AutoRec&cm_sp=Recommendations-_-Product-_-Automatic&merch=Freemans_Recommends
There were a lot of fun ones - and I have to admit... pretend shopping is more fun than regular shopping! I hope the links work:
http://www.vintageous.com/v5472.htm
http://www.vintageous.com/v5471.htm
http://www.vintageous.com/v5337.htm
Very fun, Maggie...:)
Lindsay
Sorry...I found another cute one...
http://www.vintageous.com/sarmi48.htm
And, btw...the anthropologie dress really is cute! I liked Jaimie's alot too...
When we get everyone's dresses on here we should vote for the best one! I'll put a poll up in a few days...
I think the yellow was my favorite too - I could see someone wearing it with some really fun purple or green (the right shade) shoes;) The black one with the same shoes would be nice too...
The coral one reminds me of the one you took some of your senior pictures in (the color and flowiness, not the syle or length so much)...
Sorry - It will be fun to see what everyone else comes up with:) Can you tell my husband is gone? ha ha
Wow, I have never even imagined this scenario. I guess that shows how bad I am at the Law of Attraction :-P
So I'm Marisa's friend and I stalk your blog because I love your view and you seem to do it all (and because you're having a back to back pregnancy and I just went through it, you'll rock it by the way!) Anyway--this is the dress I want to own some day and and I'd wear it anywhere! It's not all that formal but my pick is it in yellow. http://www.bodenusa.com/en-us/Womens-Dresses/Dresses/WH155/Womens-Sassy-Knitted-Dress.html
Meg! Such a fun post! I couldn't just send a link for mine so I emailed some (just pick one for me) to your moondoggie email address (i didn't have a good email address for you!)-patria
Megan - I like this one the most. http://images.nymag.com/fashion/fashionshows/2009/spring/main/newyork/womenrunway/projectrunwayleanne/images/1.jpg
OR this one
http://images.nymag.com/fashion/fashionshows/2009/spring/main/newyork/womenrunway/projectrunwayleanne/images/9.jpg
The colors are to die for.
Here you go!! I would need a really rich husband too to buy me this little number :)
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=142344&CategoryID=9107&PageID=9107*1*96*-1*-1*6#mainProductImage
PS I love the back of that dress!
BEST GAME EVER...especially when you're pregnant and want to escape your current body!
that said though, i almost didn't play cause i am SO NOT a fashion-conscious person... I like simple.
here is my pick. i would be totally tan, have long hair, and have a fuller body than this girl but not as full as i have now. :)
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2996582/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014146?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014146&P=7
Post a Comment