This is THE last photo taken of me before this whole thing started. It's amazing, isn't it? Look at that intelligent face...she doesn't realize that in a couple weeks time she will find out she's pregnant and that two years later she still will be. And that for four months after that she will still be. And she also doesn't realize how much she should enjoy her smaller body - her single chin, her slimmer arms and her small chest size. She feels fat but doesn't even really know the meaning of the word yet.
This is the very next photo taken of me. It's five months later on my wedding anniversary. It's also five days after the miscarriage. Look at her now, all she wants it to be pregnant - be careful what you wish for! This girl is devastated wondering if she will ever have another baby. How absurd a thought that seems when two years almost to the date after this photo she'll be having a baby - her second since this time.
And this is the last photo in our series. I took this of myself three days before the first day of my last period. Sorry to be so open but I've told so many strangers, nurses, and doctors the date of August 2nd that it doesn't really seem that personal any more. Now look at THAT face. I'd bet that within ten minutes of this photo being taken she's thinking about when her baby weight will be gone. I know she's thinking it would be her worst nightmare to find out she's pregnant again. That's a direct quote of something I said around this time. For a while I wished I could have warned her so she could prevent something in a couple weeks but now I think I'm glad it turned out the way it did. I don't know if I could say I would go back and get pregnant on purpose but I am excited to get another one of my children.In the end, I often find myself telling complete strangers - usually thin women - that I haven't not been pregnant since 2006. I tell them so they'll give me a break for how chubby I am but I also tell them because even I can't believe it's been that long. I never ever would have planned it this way but I wouldn't change it. It's yet another lesson in my life that you NEVER EVER EVER know where you'll be in the future. And that's a good thing - God is always taking you somewhere better than you would have gone alone...
I read this GREAT quote last week and I already having it hanging on my wall:
"Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what lies clearly at hand."
Happy New Year, Ya'll!


8 comments:
what a great post megan! great perspective.
So, first, I like the new look of the website.
Second, very interesting post. I really appreciate your honesty in describing all of your feelings and experiences.
Third, you said that you felt you had to make excuses to skinny women about being chubby. I know what you mean, but I think you need to cut yourself some slack. When you were thin, I'm sure you didn't spend time judging all the chubby ladies and thinking how lame they were for their size. You probably judged them on the merits of their personality, conversation, ideas and opinions. All I am trying to say is that your are your own worst critic. The rest of us think that you are great--a neat, interesting, likeable person; regardless of size.
Good post, Meg. Just seeing Henry's face will erase any chagrin over the way things worked out. He wants to be best friends with Peter. Maybe his cute big or little sister gently nudged him and said, "you can go first."
P.S., the funny thing is, in that first photo, you do look like you know that in two weeks you will be pregnant! You look like you're in a fog, wondering how you will do it!
Chels - I've changed the baby name choice - it's not going to be Henry. At least it isn't for now. I have another name and we are already calling him by it but I'm not sure if it will last - probably it will. I'll tell you what it is next time we talk...
love the post, it's so interesting to think about how much changes in our lives in such short periods of time.
out with the name! (: can't wait.
-patria
Megan, you have such an amazing sense of perspective. Even when you are in the midst of a situation, you seem to see the whole purpose of it so clearly.
You are wonderful!
-Mary
Meg,
I love your family pictures and I think you look SO pretty.
kricket
Post a Comment