I don't care who you voted for - today you should be proud to be an American. In a country where a little over 40 years ago African American men and women could not use the same drinking fountains as white men and women, a country that once enslaved human beings treating them as property - that that same country has elected an African American man to hold the highest office in the nation. No matter your politics, this is a day to be proud to be an American.Today, I am an American and hope that I am not alone in that feeling. And that perhaps remembering that we are united not by parties, religions, or races but by our pursuit of, and protection of freedom. Let's unite behind our president. Let's try an make this country better than it's been in a long time!


5 comments:
what about the idea of democracy? 200 years ago a system was devised, and still today one man with very different views can enter the office as another man with polar views gracefully exits the office. this happens without riots, extortion, or bloodshed. wow!
Amen, Sarah!
Amen Meg! I woke up early to catch a glimpse of everything live from Hawaii before I hopped in the car, but I was riveted and couldn't leave until after the swearing in, speech and poem. I couldn't help the tears that spouted and the feeling of long awaited pride to be an American...Patria
I have to say this - sorry for any sore feelings about it too...but I'm thankful for people who are proud to be American ALL the time. Not just when someone they like gets elected. The pros and cons of America and it's choice for democracy will still exist every day that our new president is in office. Our friends will still be our friends and our enemies will still be our enemies...there will still be poverty, hunger, wars, and all other type of human ailments.
So thanks, Megan for choosing to be proud of our country all of the time....and for remembering that we are "united by our pursuit of, and protection of freedom". And for knowing that as individuals we should be making the world around us a better place no matter who is in office...because that's what Americans do...and THAT is something to be proud of ALL the time.
I agree we should be proud to be American all the time, but there are times when you can be MORE PROUD. Not because a person they voted for got elected, not only to see the differences in who the President can be now, but who the other cabinet officials are, including, gasp, women! And I whole-heartedly agree Megan - no matter which way your vote was cast, now's the time (and after each election, and every crisis really) to put your biases aside and give these new folks a chance. We are all harder on our government and especially our President than we are on anyone else, willing to criticize anything and everything they do at the drop of a hat. I know one thing, I certainly could not even come close to attempting to understand/organize/decide upon all the things our government is faced with on a daily basis. Most of us just live our lives enjoying our freedom and often taking it for granted, but quickly criticizing how those freedoms are managed by our government. I believe we have every right to have opinions and question things, it just seems like a little support/benefit of the doubt here and there could go a long way. Sorry to go on so long - it's refreshing to see this because lately I've been faced with so many people who are pessimistic and negative about the events of the past few days, when I really believe it's time to rally and see what can be done, no matter how you felt the election should have come out.
Post a Comment