Sunday, November 16, 2008

RSV week

So, here's the story of our RSV adventure...

Peter was slightly sick over the last weekend. The main symptom was that he was wheezing. Though he had no fever and was overall in a pretty happy mood, his wheezing was starting to concern me. So Monday morning I took him in to see the doctor. Well, everyone was really concerned there and said if he got any worse - even if it was just a few hours later - I had to bring him back in. I was really surprised because even during the check-up he was cooing and gurgling and really happy - just wheezy. The doctor also said that if he wasn't any better by Wednesday I had to bring him back.

So Wednesday rolled around and he wasn't any better but I really didn't think I'd take him back in. But that afternoon he starting to look a little worse so at the last minute we went in. The doctor looked him over and said to take him in for chest x-rays. After the x-rays they wanted him admitted. I was actually getting a little bothered by this time. He still didn't seem very sick! I always thought a child with RSV would be coughing and barely able to breathe. But I guess the real thing to worry about is that RSV so often leads to bronchilitis - which Peter had - and that makes the small tubes in the lungs swell. And in babies - those tubes are so small that when they swell it's bad news. So even though Peter wasn't THAT noticeably sick, while he was sleeping his oxygen levels were dipping into dangerous territory. Needless to say, the time in the hospital was long and Peter really started to hate it. He couldn't leave his room and he always had oxygen tubes taped to his face and up his nose. When we brought him home around noon on Friday he was as happy as a clam(what does that mean anyhow?) He was so glad to have toys and freedom and big loud brothers to entertain him. And he's just been getting better even since. He's still coughing but his wheeze is almost non-existent and he's eating normally again. So, that was a fun week. But the best part was that Meghan and Brett brought us dinner on Saturday night. And that meal was AMAZING! I know you've probably heard me talk about Brett's cooking before - and we're not talking like some amazing version of the foods we eat - we're talking about high end foodie delight. Go to his food blog - that's the kind of food they eat every night! So it washed away all of the bad with delicious food. Though our kids weren't really cooperating. They were so loud and someone was always whining and ruining the opportunity to enjoy the food. We felt like we were trying to listen to a symphony with someone screaming in our ears. So thanks for thinking of us guys!
*You'll have to excuse the quality of the images - they were all taken with Mike's camera phone!

5 comments:

k.m. said...

how terrible! I'm so glad that he is doing well now. I have to say even sick he is absolutely adorable :)

Kathy said...

awwwwwwww - that is scary. so glad he's ok.

Chris and Jamie said...

All 3 of my kids have been in the hospital for RSV. You just can't get away from it in Utah.

Glad he's better.

Tay and Teigan said...

Hi Megan! Found your blog on Dee's . . . hope you don't mind. Your family is gorgeous, and I am glad your little guy is feeling better. Anyway, fun to see what y'all have been up to!

Dan and Dee said...

glad your little guy is doing better! loved the Lincoln Logs blog and pics!