Friday, November 21, 2008

A boy's destiny

Today my boys pulled out the lincoln logs and I was glad to see them enjoying a good old fashioned toy instead of tearing through my house, jumping from my couches, or pretending to shoot and stab each other. Only, as I listened to their communication I realized it wasn't quite the type of play I had imagined. Instead of a pleasant mountain cabin with a happy woodcutter's family, this is actually a scene of serious warmongering. In fact, every time someone lights a fire in the quaint little fireplace - the smoke sets off a series of bombs. And those things at the front of the picture are actually cannons - used to obliterate the enemy.
And this here is a bomb storage facility. Note the missile launching chimney...And these are bombs waiting to be unleash their fury upon the enemy. I explained to the boys that bombs are horrible things only used to kill people and my oldest says, "Ya, but, girl's just don't like war as much as boys do." I really have no argument for that. I am slightly afraid of having a girl because I think it will show how much more I enjoy playing house with her rather than war with them.
All the while my innocent little Peter is watching on. I can already see him taking it all in and learning the ways of destruction and terror.Poor Peter - you are destined to a life of violence and there's not much a mom can do about it.

4 comments:

m. said...

when i saw the first picture i thought, " oh how cute. they are storing extra firewood outside of the cabin." i told brett that & he said, "that is obviously a gate to keep people out of the fort."

we really are built differently...

Kathy said...

those are such adorable pictures of peter. SO cute.

yeah - i'm already seeing HUGE differences in having a boy. . . and he's only 17 months old.

Stephanie said...

lincoln logs! How old were your boys when they started actually playing with them? i'm thinking noah would just throw them around right now...

Unknown said...

I have the exact same outfit that peter is wearing. He looks a lot cuter in it than I do.