Since you probably hear the music playing - enjoy it. The Beatles song is very specific to one birthday and it's the one my dad is celebrating today. And the other two are so inseparably connected with my Dad that you must listen to them as you read this post. Today on his birthday I wanted to write a post about how much I love him and wish him his happiest birthday yet.
I've been writing this post in my brain for months on nights when I couldn't fall asleep. I wanted to write something that lets everyone know about how great my Dad is and what a powerful force he has been in my life. I don't know if I can even come close to doing that very completely here but hopefully I can touch the top of it a little.
Just recently my parents came to visit for the ordination of their oldest grandson as an Elder. It had been a while since I had sat with my parents in church and my heart swelled with pride to hear my Dad's beautiful singing voice during the hymns. My Dad really does have a beautiful voice. Growing up on Sunday mornings my Dad would either be returning from or about to go to his early morning church meetings and would sit at the piano and play some songs and sing them. It was early and I was almost always really tired so I didn't appreciate those moments as much then but I treasure those memories now. He would sing on other days to - often singing the song, "Tenderly" which is such a romantic beautiful song. He would also use the tune of "Mona Lisa" to sing about pretty much everything from spaghetti and meatballs to whatever friend was visiting for the night. I love your voice, Dad.
My Dad is also a charitable man. He has taught me to give someone in need the shirt off your own back and to always be there for people. My Dad has an elderly man that he visits with and receives calls from on a regular basis. And that would be a kind thing in and of itself but this old man is hard to be around. His own family doesn't want to see him anymore and most people avoid talking with him. But not my dad. I have often been visiting at his home when he receives a call from this man and will talk with him for quite a while in both spanish and english and about who knows what. And he usually takes him a plate from our holiday meals and visits with him. And he isn't the fist aged man he's visited and helped. And I've seen him touch the lives of countless others. I hope to follow his example.
Another little thing you might not know about my Dad is that he has impeccable handwriting. It's beautiful and neat. I love to see it. When I was in middle school or so my Dad was looking at a paper I had written and was so appalled at how terrible my handwriting was that he had me sit down and write out my whole alphabet and all my numbers over and over again. That sounds mean but it wasn't for pages and pages - just one page. And from then on I think my handwriting greatly improved. I actually think about that little thing he did for me every time I write a letter or a card.
I think most dads don't realize the power they have in their children's lives for good but they do have so much. At girl's camp when I was growing up they would ask our parents to write us letters that they could hand out each week. I don't know if my Dad thought it was too big of a deal but his letters meant a lot to me. One in particular he told me one of the talents he thought I possessed. It was such a powerful thing to me that I still have that letter and consider it to be one of the most significant things ever said to me.
My Dad is hard working, creative, clever, funny, and quite the spiffy dresser if you ask me. I am grateful that the Lord let me be a part of his family. He has enabled myself and my family to be blessed on more than one occasion by following his heart and I am grateful for his ability to hear and follow those promptings. He has been a force for good in the lives of many people besides myself, as my mom has as well, and I look forward to the day when the two of them can serve together as missionaries as a super-force for good.
So happy birthday, Dad. Pip, pip, cheerio!





11 comments:
What a great tribute! Happy birthday Brother A!
I CANNOT believe how much all Spencer and Weston look like your dad when he was younger.
I also will always remember hearing your dad's voice singing in church. You could always hear it above everyone else's, but it was so wonderful to hear and I think he was what made our ward sing the hymns so much louder. I've never been in a ward that sang the hymns like the original KW1, and I really think it had a lot to do with your dad.
I second Marisa-- great tribute. But now I'm going to look like scum for not doing it for my parents this year.
Happy Birthday Uncle Dave!
Erika - I almost forgot - tell your Dad happy birthday from me as well.
To all - I forgot to mention that my Dad has a twin brother who lives in California and his name is Dan. I really like my uncle Dan and it's fun to have someone look a lot like my Dad.
ok - steph and marisa beat me to it. i was going to say the same things :) anyway - happy birthday!
Wow! Your blog made me cry. And don't think I have ever been prouder of you than at this moment.
Life is full of good times and bad times. Of regrets and aspirations. At times, I wonder, "What do people think of me?" or "Am I doing the best things that I can or should be doing?"
The real payoff in life comes when you hear or read that your children love you, or that you have had a positive impact on their lives.
In verse 4 of the Third Epistle of John is written the following verity: "I have no greater joy than to hear [or read] that my children walk in truth."
As I read you blog today,and recognizing all of the effort you put in this "masterpiece of art and great music", this truth manifested itself to me like a bright neon sign blinking on a dark night.
I love you more than I can articulate in words...
Your Dad forever!
Okay, Megan, thanks a lot. Make sure you tell Dad that I will write something great about him on my blog too.
Dad, it would seem silly for me to write something now, but you know how much I love and admire you, right? I mean, don't you get tired of hearing it?:)xoxoxo
Your Dad is one good-looking old man!!!!!
Are those pictures of Weston or your dad?
Your dad still looks like the actor Richard Dreyfuss.
You have great parents-happy birthday Dave!
Post a Comment