Tomorrow school will start for most kids here in Springville but Elijah won't be going to public school this year. This year, he will be homeschooled. Since Elijah was a baby I've wanted to homeschool, but up until this year I never had the confidence. It's been a desire that hasn't left me alone and so after a lot of of research and quite a bit of prayer - we think it is the right thing for our family.
I will be using several methods - focusing mostly on the charlotte mason method, with a little of this and a little of that. We belong to a local association of homeschoolers and will participate in their activites as well as some with a group we're currently putting together.
I have designed my own curriculum and am using this book as a help with that. I am sure we will be pulling in other curriculum throughout the year and figuring out how it's going to work for us as we go along.
In the end we are anxious and excited and a little scared, but I'm sure it will be a fun adventure for us all. I am still thinking of starting a blog dedicated to our homeschooling experience this year but I have a lot of blogs and don't want to start that just to see this one suffer. We'll see.
Eventually I hope to write a post dedicated to why we homeschool but I haven't taken that completely out of the abstract realm yet. I can say that I am not homeschooling out of fear or a desire to hide from the world. In many ways I hope our methods at home will actually give my kids more opportunity to interact with the community than public schooling gives them. In the simplest of terms we are homeschooling because it is part of living the life we love...
p.s. I didn't open this post for comments because I wanted to let everyone know what we're doing but I didn't want it to become a debate as to whether homeschooling is ok or not. Sorry!

