Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fat Quarter Pillows

Last year we bought these couches and they came with the obligatory matching pillows. I knew then that I wanted to replace them but it has taken until now to do it. So when I saw the beautiful array of fat quarters at Corn Wagon I knew it was time. Now, I don't like the look of pillows made of plain old cotton - I think it looks thin and cheap but Marisa suggested I back the fabric with fusible fleece(iron on) and it worked - making it feel more like upholstery weight. The only thing I am not happy with is the size. Fat quarters look like the perfect size for a bigger pillow but I forgot about how much smaller they get when stuffed. Oh well, I'll have to make a couple bigger ones. The other thing is that I like the look of white pillows on a dark sofa but Mike pointed out that these just look like pillow forms instead of real pillows. He's right- they do. I think for white ones I will need a heavier fabric with some sort of textures or something to it and maybe make them larger. And the pillows are pretty homemade looking. Though all in all, I still think it looks better:
This is my favorite fabric. It was the last of the last of it in the store. I noticed while making these that they are in the color scheme I suggested several months ago and then chickened out of. I realized I had too much green to go with pink and yellow. I realized today that this pillow is the missing link between my stuff and those cute colors. You can't tell but that light color in the pillow is pink.

5 comments:

m. said...

while i was reading i could only see the first picture & thought "ewww. what was she thinking!" & trying to figure out how those were your dream pillows :).

i actually have that one fabric in green with some blue to pull in a blue chair i bought & put in sobe's green & yellow room.

too bad you are about to be insanely busy now that i am free!
i'll call you soon...

RightHahn said...

Very fun! If you photo shopped a few things you could use those pictures for a 'find what's different' activity:)

I love the color scheme...

megan said...

Meghie - We will never be so insanely busy that we can't hang out with you! Do give me a call - I can never get a hold of you on your phone. Maybe you'll have more luck getting a hold of me...

Patria said...

i love the pillows! so jealos that you can make such lovely things!

Kevin Pratt said...

Cute, meg! You are making me want to go make some pillows. What and easy, fairly cheap way to transform a room, aye?