Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I love kissing.

This is a scene from one of my favorite films of all time:


Did you watch it? Well, I happen to think that this kiss is one of the best kisses EVER in a movie. I found this trivia on it: "This was Jimmy Stewart's first film and romantic scene on-screen since he came back from the war(WW2), and he was afraid he would be, um, out of practice, but the kiss was so passionate that the censors had to edit it. All Jimmy needed was one take to nail it."

And watching this I began to wonder what THE best on-screen kiss of all time is. I have a few I like - including this one of course - but I wanted to hear your favorites... if you find them on youtube - let me know and I'll post it here.

Here's another kiss that is part of my psyche because I watched it so much in my developing years. It can still give me goosebumps. Man, that Jake Ryan...


This is another great one that I forgot and even though it's a bad transfer it's still worth showing.



Vicki - I had forgotten about this one and you're right - it's amazing. Here it is everyone....


Emily's suggestion was right on...but no embed video here - you'll have to click here to see the NEVER BEEN KISSED finale...

16 comments:

Katie said...

So what movies are those?! I didn't like that first kiss at all. . . I would have liked it a lot if he had kissed her when he kept smelling her hair. But it seemed like he was scaring her and then he kissed her. That was kind of freaky.

I love Scarlett and Rhett's kisses in Gone With the Wind and Anne and Gilbert's kisses in Anne of Green Gables ♥

megan said...

Katie - how have you not seen "It's a wonderful life"? You need to go rent that like tomorrow. It's like top ten films of all time. Also, the thing with that scene is that he has been trying to get out of the small town he grew up in all his life and he knows if he falls in love with her he won't be able to do all the things he's dreamed of doing...so he is angry at himself but at the same time can't keep himself from her. It's a great scene...

megan said...

The second movie is "Sixteen Candles" which I won't recommend to anyone unless it's on TV.

And I love those gone with the wind kisses but I think the best one is where they are out in a field with the sky burning behind them and then she slaps him afterwards - but i can't find that one on youtube...

Cindy Bean said...

Katie knows what the last movie is though, right? I sure hope so.

"You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life." Precisely the reason why I love Carl Young.

Katie said...

I'm sure I've seen It's a Wonderful Life, but I don't remember it at all. I figured that's what it was, as I thought they said "George Bailey". I had no clue what the second one was, but I figured it out because the credits were included on that clip, and I googled some of the names :-)

Patria said...

wait, its a wonderful life is a weston family classic. we've watched it every christmas, never fail. my dad cries every single time we watch it- during this kiss scene and multiple other times. i have the whole thing memorized and it was so fun to find it on your blog- love, love it.

i like your new profile pic!

RightHahn said...

Those really are some iconic scenes! On a Harrison Ford note - the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark, where Karen Allen kisses him where "it doesn't hurt" (which sounds really dirty when you say it like that - but isn't) is one scene that's been burned into my memory.

Another fun one is in Return to Me (David Duchovny and Minnie Driver). Their first kiss is really funny (there's some Gone With the Wind-esque slapping involved) and the other kissing scene that I remember is a little more passionate, but ends funny. "Popcorn!!! Popcorn's ready!"

I think you're right though - Jimmy Stewart does an amazing job in that scene...and in the entire movie! He and Cary Grant are great, classic love-scene artists. I think what makes older movie love scenes so great - is that you never feel like you have to turn your head. You get to enjoy the entire moment:)

Tyan said...

Han Solo is HOT!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan,

Vicki here. The lesser known Hughes film, Some Kind of Wonderful has the greatest kiss ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhzEzaYXxdo

I love the Stephen Duffy song that plays as well.

megan said...

Vicki - you're right. I haven't seen this since freshman year in college and i had forgotten this one...it's awesome and i'm adding it.

Kathy said...

i have to agree with lindsay - the kisses in "return to me" (one of my fave movies) are awesome. especially the "popcorn" kiss :)

Emily said...

Never Been Kissed-Standing in the middle of the baseball field and he just comes up to her and WOW, I love that kiss.

megan said...

Emily - yes - that is a really good one. I always liked that movie - especially since that teacher looks kinda like Mike to me...
I couldn't find a clip that would let me embed it so I had to just link it...

megan said...

Lins - I love that scene from Raiders too! Any kiss with Harrison Ford is pretty good - actually that one at the end of Sabrina is pretty good. Anyone remember that?

And I can't remember any return to me kisses. I've only seen it once. Maybe I should watch that one again.

Cindy Bean said...

I'm fond of the Reality Bites kiss where Winona Ryder comes home from her date with Ben Stiller and Ethan Hawke is sitter there on the couch and he just goes over and frenches her. This is before he became a wife-cheater.

Kathy said...

oh yeah! - the "never been kissed" is TOTALLY the BEST movie kiss EVER. EVER. i forgot about that one! love it. love it.