Well, if you hadn't heard - Mike got a second job. After listening to Dave Ramsey on talk radio on getting out of debt as quickly as you can - and then reading his TOTAL MONEY MAKEOVER book we knew it was time to do it. Though we've never thought of ourselves as having tons of debt when we sat down and actually included student loans and cars we knew it was time to get the creditors out of our life forever. If you've never listened to or read Dave Ramsey you are missing out. He is a devout Christian who uses the Bible to support his belief that debt is the great con of our times. Sound familiar? So he has a program to get you out of it. And unlike other make money fast gimmicks - Dave just opens your eyes to the reality of debt so that you are willing to work your tail off (while living on rice and beans) to get out of it. So my amazing husband who earns a really good living working long stressful days building homes volunteered to get a second job. And though we never thought he'd be delivering pizza - so far(he started last week) it has been just right.
I am truly so proud of him. Nothing is so manly or so attractive as a man that is willing to put his pride aside and work hard for his wife and children. And he has already been humbled many times over as he delivers pizza to youth parties at the Bishop's house and the like. Our goal is to be completely debt free(accept for the house) by the fall of 2008. And then we'll get working on the house. Or we'll sell it. Another motivator is that Mike has also decided to go back to school full time in that same Fall ('08) for a masters degree in Real Estate Development. That topic needs it's own post though so I won't go into it now.
If you didn't know it already I have a good husband. Somehow I captured one of the best men out there and everyday I know it more and more.
p.s. Go check out www.daveramsey.com and listen to his show on podcast for free or find out when it plays in your area - it's totally worth it.


8 comments:
Way to go! There aren't enough good words to describe what you guys are doing - keep it up. I know it will pay off. Thanks for the great example...
I'm with you on the Dave Ramsey thing - his advice really is about getting back to the basics, and letting money work for you instead of against you. No quick fixes - just hard work, letting go of your pride, and keeping time on your side....all concepts which seem to be a lost art in our society, but prevelant in Mike. That's a lot to be grateful for...:)
Randy wanted me to add that Mike's job is REALLY about getting all you can eat pizza - and nothing to do with this 'Dave Ramsey' business.
You can't trick him...
Good job working to get out of debt. It will give you lots of peace of mind and lots of flexibility you don't have now.
Isn't he the cutest pizza man you've ever seen? I bet he gets good tips!
good for y'all! debt sucks! i'm glad we don't have very much. :)
Wahh, I deleted because I had a typo, and now I am announced to the world!! I wanted to say that I am excited about your upcoming grad school adventure. Student life is in many ways the best life, everything boiled down to the essense of what is all about. Good job getting rid of your debt. I can already feel ours breathing down my neck. . .
This pizza man needs to be the poster boy for all their ads. I'd tip him even if the pizza was cold! Mama Carlie
Post a Comment