
There seems to be a lot of "end of the world" talk going around these days so I decided to start reading up on the subject myself so I could "notice the leaves on the fig tree to know that summer is nigh". I started at lds.org where one may choose from a general list of topics for information and lessons and talks to read for more information. I have enjoyed my reading but haven't discovered any secret masonic calculator for the second coming or anything. Just some good gospel learning.
Probably the thing that has gotten most of us talking about it is that the frequency of natural disasters seems to be increasing. I soon discovered there were a myriad of articles on that very subject. Man, what did we do before google? Anyhow, my favorite titled article was what I chose for the title of this post. It seems so obviously silly, doesn't it? At least to us ignorant religious folk. The article concluded with a comment by one of these said scientists on the whole second coming idea and it's prevalence, "he 'thinks its part of the general [socio-political] climate that seems to exists in the country today(or maybe always?), fostered partly perhaps by this administration and their lack of credence to science.' Wow, now we can even blame the belief in Christ's Second Coming on the Bush administration! Anyhow, I also found this chart which was pretty cool. There are so many things to say on the second coming. The main one that stands out to me is preparation - and starting with the man in the mirror. So we have been more inspired to get out of debt, keep a garden, get food storage, and most importantly - serve the Lord in building up the cause of good. In the end though - the funnest part of this kind of talk is making concrete date predictions. I just learned that I owe a high school friend $20.00 because I said by our 10 year high school reunion Christ would have come - that gives me until July 28th to be right. I'm gonna see if he'll let me double or nothing for the 20 year reunion!
So, what is your date prediction? I want month and year! Whoever gets closest to the actual date wins!
I'll start with mine - April 2033 - that's 25 years from now...
*Another interesting take on why all the talk about it from NY Magazine:
The End of the World As They Know It: What do Christian millenarians, jihadists, Ivy League professors, and baby-boomers have in common? They’re all hot for the apocalypse.


16 comments:
I choose April of 2021.
I knew that would happen...I actually wrote a lot more, but it wouldn't post, so I kept it simple so I wouldn't waste time and then it worked. April seems obvious and one year after a major year keeps it as "a thief in the night."
By the way, I want something concrete if I win.
Like a statue or a garden stepping stone? Those are concrete sometimes...
Ok - there's a weird motivation behind my selection - which is April 2029.
The motivation comes from a strain of the same thought process that you've had - but with a twist. I started thinking about the second coming a little bit more (as happens from time to time) about a month ago...and then a special came on PBS or the Discovery channel about the date that computer specialists have predicted that 'computer inteligence' will equal or surpass that of the human brain....which was April 2029. The April thing does seem obvious (like Chelsea said) - so the thought occured to me that Christ would have to come at around the same time to either utilize that advancement...or protect us from world-dominating robots.
Can you tell that I put all these thoughts together really late at night or what? But just for the fun of it - I've decided to select that timeframe as my new gauge. I am however pretty flexiblbe (for obvious reasons) - but just in case would like to request either a jar of canned peaches or chips and salsa if I win. So get canning, will you?
so, what is the big prize??
i'll say april 2058
Nicole - If you are right and it is 2058 then I'll be 79. I hope to be ridiculously wealthy by then - and hopefully alive. So for you - a corvette.
So Megan is on the "exactly 2 thousand years" thought process and Linsay is all about robots. Interesting. I'm going to go out on a limb with a totally random year and month, the only reasoning is that I hope it happens sooner than later! With that, put me down for June 2019. Didn't see that one coming now did ya! No prize for me thank you, I don't gamble and I want to be prepared!!! Hahahahaha!
You're right! I didn't even realize that my date was so significant - I just thought I'd give us 25 years and that gave me that date...
Mike says 4/2030
2024, I figure that is when my last child will be out of the house. I would be able to start traveling and doing everything that I couldn't do with kids. Go figure. I really do love my kids, honest.
o k. so is this like The Price is Right where we have to be closest without going over? i don't know why, but i really like the sound & look of 4/2035. i m just jumping on the bandwagon with april but for some reason 2035 seems significant to me. lets see.. yeah i think that could work. i definetely have not thought my life through to my 50's yet, so that could happen. it's kind of funny everyone has assumed it will happen in their lifetime.i m curious if it's something they think about or if your question just sparked their guess...
The April thing may be a little too obvious (thief in the night, remember?), so I think that it will likely be Halloween, or maybe the day after...kind of like the 1983 made-for-TV-movie "The Day After"--a graphic, disturbing film about the effects of a devastating nuclear holocaust on small-town residents of eastern Kansas (another Steve Guttenberg classic).
So, November 1, 2018. I think Grandpa Weston, in conjunction with the dastardly infamous Skousen brothers, had appointed that as the year, and since we all know they had no clue and wouldn't listen to them, it could make that date that much more like a thief in the night.
Anyway, doesn't time travel make this whole thing a moot point?!
I think you people are all nuts! I figure 2020 would be good because I'll be turning 75, unless I'm in my grave, in which case I hope I'll be turning! Dad doesn't want me to have the last word so his choice if 2021. Go figure.
i choose september 3007. no real reason - that is all :)
I just heard that Astroworld got shut down-so if you need any other indication that it happened like yesterday, then we are all in big, big trouble. Or, I'd put some cheddar on the day that Megan and Mike's oldest son Elijah learns to play the piano better than me...wait, that was problably yesterday too. Damn. We are in big trouble.
Post a Comment