Thursday, June 4, 2009

My mom uniform...

When I was a teenager I remember being embarrassed if my mom wore something two days in a row. I thought, "How can she do that? Isn't she scared someone will see her and realize she is wearing the same thing as yesterday?" Well, then I became a mother...

And yes, I not only wear things two days in a row - I pretty much wear the same thing every day. My current uniform consists of these pants from Target - I actually own three pair just in case one gets dirty - which they usually do with baby spit-up, boogers, food, dish water, etc. They're great - wide leg, roll top, stretchy material, $14.99 - pretty much as sexy as it gets... And then I usually wear a t-shirt of some sort on top but every once in a while to change it up I wear a fancier shirt like this one from Target. And let me tell you - I look nothing like this in it. In fact, it's not even my style but since when do moms of young children get to wear something that is their style? Am I right? When was the last time you wore something that was soo you? And how about your closet? Is it full of clothes you love or clothes you picked up at Target as quickly as you could - maybe even without trying it on? My clothes are awful and have been for a long long time. I'm betting most of that has to do with my weight/pregnancy. What about wearing maternity clothes when you are not pregnant? Anyone guilty of that? I'm not only because I have been pregnant for so long... I also have EVERY size under the sun - really, I have sizes in my wardrobe ranging from 4 to 16 - for real. Ahh, but isn't this just the fate of us young moms? What about you moms of older kids - does it get any better?

8 comments:

Emily said...

Yes! Even though Annie is 2.5 my sisters are always telling me that I look hip with my jewelry and clothes. I don't spend too much but I try harder than I used to.

Jamie said...

This post made me laugh really hard. I'm not naturally a super-stylish person...but right now I think my clothing belongs more in the kleenex catagory than anything!

Stephanie said...

i could not have said it better myself.

Patria said...

so funny. i think those pants are awesome. even though i work and have (what i think) are cute outfits that i wear, mark laughs because i have a pair of black cropped wide leg pants from JJill that I sometimes wear a couple times a week, sometimes even two days in a row because they're so great. i think black pants are brilliant for moms- flattering, versaitle, easy, and hide dirt. We just got Target on the island and they have cute clothes!

Tyan said...

I totally support the black stretchy pant obsession! I have two pair from Old Navy and two pair from Academy (bcg brand - 14.99 as well - LOVE THEM). I need to make myself stop at 4 pairs, but don't you really need 7? One for every day. Or maybe I should just do laundry more often.

Kathy said...

i want target here. waaaaaa!

brooklyn said...

ugh. i relate all too well. our storage is filled with 6 bins of clothes...4,6,8,10,12,maternity. and they are pretty much all ugly except for the smallest two, which i may never wear again. wah.

Sheree said...

I love the mom uniform! When you came over the other day, I thought you looked very elegant. I loved it.

I am good most days with a ponytail and a pair of jeans. But when I am pregnant or just had a baby, I am way more self conscious. I think it is the proverbial mom sweats that scares me into feeling like I can't give up. Lol.

I love the blog. Great way to get to know the neigbors! I'll have to give you the link to the ward blogroll.