Marisa & I started our Backyard Farming blog in the winter of 2008 because we saw this trend towards producing your own foods and buying locally and we wanted to be a part of it. We kind of have a love/hate relationship with the blog since both of us are so busy with other things but I think we're both grateful that it has required us to keep at our goals of backyard farming in our own lives. We are especially excited because this fall we both get to fly out to Illinois and participate in a small farming conference where our blog was accepted to be a poster presenter. Which essentially means we get a booth. But we get to attend the conference and take small farm tours and listen to small farmers speak. We really really really couldn't be happier. And we're really lucky because Marisa's uncle-in-law works for a university and they are sponsoring us for the whole thing - except our hotel.
And we are slowly getting more and more people coming to the blog and sharing their wonderful blogs with us. I am really impressed by all of the people out there who are rebelling against this new food system and are returning the way it was before the second world war. Did you know that the way we eat has changed more in the last 50 years than in the 10,000 years before that? And not only is that not good for our bodies - I think more importantly it's not good for our souls. Learning the law of the harvest first hand is something man was always supposed to do. Since Adam and Eve began tilling the dirt humans have been involved in this process. I think this requirement by God was laden with gifts along the way. The process of growing and harvesting your own food is full of so much joy and healing. I really believe that many of societies ills would be lessened if everyone tended a little patch of earth -
no matter how small. And now, with this movement back towards this kind of thing I tend to believe there is a divine hand leading his children back towards it.Anyhow, my original point in writing this post was to tell you that if you like our blog - become a follower of it. Both Marisa and I will get taken out to dinner when we hit 100 followers(we're at 91 now)! I really want to get taken out! So, if you we're already enjoying what we do there - go follow it. If you hadn't checked it out in a while - go give it another whirl. I especially recommend posts with videos in them - Dale has contributed some fun ones with his hens. Just scroll down on the right and select "Videos" under "TOPICS" or just click here.
p.s. these are some photos from the blog - all of them were taken by my lovely friend Marisa. I just so bored of mine that I used some of hers...


4 comments:
Hello if you want to go out to dinner call me up I owe you Bombay House for your birthday.
oh I miss the knorps! megan you rock. happy belated birthday. mike is amazing to write that. wow. he's right as well. i love the videos. how are you doing it? your boys are adorable. every now and then it sinks in...4 boys. what a household. you should be so proud. do you know how fun thanksgivings will be when they are all grown, strapping young lads.
miss you mucho,
sarah
I really want to do the Summit Tri with you. I would also love to visit with you about your weight watcher stuff. I am down about 40 pounds since I had Ryder and I had some of the same issues with milk supply. Call me! 4654743
Kricket
I love how you are so back to nature Megan! My little, little garden continues to grow.
Post a Comment