Friday, February 6, 2009

What homeschooling looks like...

At least at our house it looks like this:
school
If you were wondering how it is going - it's great. We are using a program called K12(click on it if you'd like) that gives us all of our curriculum for free through the school district. I have a monthly phone meeting with a teacher who can see Elijah's progress and grades as we enter them in online. I didn't think I would like doing school this way but I actually do. It provides the structure I need and I just get to add in the fun. And especially he gets to play a lot more. The nice thing about this program is that it is fully accredited so if he was in high school he would receive a diploma just like everyone else - instead of trying to pull together a portfolio to show colleges. Right now Elijah takes these classes from K12:

Spanish
Language Arts
Math
Science
& Art

We start our day at just before 8 AM with breakfast. After that we empty the dishwasher and get it loaded with our morning dishes. We then proceed to our other daily chores which vary. At around 10 AM we start our official school. Elijah has handwriting practice and Spanish which is on the computer and he is able to do those pretty independently. We then work on the other subjects. Art and Science are only twice a week - alternating days. Mike is going to start teaching the Science lessons in the evenings just so he can have a role in the whole thing. We are usually done with our formal lessons by around noon.

(Here's a screenshot of our page at K12.)

After lunch Elijah and Andrew usually start playing - though Elijah does have violin to practice. We go to the library about once a week and pick up books for Elijah to read independently or to enrich the things we are studying - and to get myself and Andrew some books. Elijah also usually attends the monthly meetings at the library for boys his age and they play games and discuss different topics. His violin also has group lessons once a month. I mention those because they are little things we do to give him some social activities. He played soccer in the fall and will be playing some more sports in the spring. Hopefully these type of activities will increase in number. Luckily we have a neighborhood full of kids that he is able to play with every afternoon.

Anyhow, I just thought some of you might be curious how it works around here. I don't know how long we'll do it. I love it and it has enriched our lives for sure. I am also glad I was able to start when I only had one child to teach. Hopefully when it's time for Andrew to start Elijah will be even more independent in his work. I might put Elijah back in by middle school or later. Each year that will be a decision we will have to make - prayerfully and with our kids input. So, that's a little window into our school life!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

i'm glad you posted this - looks like it's working out really well. the group we looked into was very much like what you are describing. anyway - glad it's working out!

Jamie said...

My homeschool looks a little more messy than yours (with two little ones playing while we do our work!)

I really like the more time for playing part of homeschool. I feel like I have given an extra serving of childhood to my kids and I am glad to let them be little in this grow-up-so-fast world.

Patria said...

I love it. Sounds wonderful. We're exploring all our school options right now. Part of me really wants to put my kids in Waldorf school. Another part wants homeschool. Yet another feels continuing in Hawaiian Immersion would be right. We'll see what happens...like you said- kids input and prayer is going to tip us in the right direction. Thanks for sharing.

RightHahn said...

Very fun! I have a few friends now that are doing the K12 program - and everyone seems to like it:) I'm glad you're happy with how it's going!

Katie said...

I am glad you posted this. As you may remember, I'm a TJEd idealist, as in one who thinks that TJEd is the One and Only True Way! But I don't know if I can actually implement that right now. I'm just not there in my life. K12 looks like a great compromise -- we still get to homeschool, but we have a lot of needed structure and we could easily jump back into the public system if necessary. And given the way our lives have gone up until now, that could so easily be the case if I started homeschooling now.