Last year I became obsessed with paper snowflakes - completely. I spent hours making snowflakes and some of them got to be pretty darn good. I dreamed up a beautiful snowflake book that would get me on Martha Stewart and other morning shows. I got so crazy that I couldn't even stop while I was out. I would sit in a corner during primary at church and cut out more and more - trying to make them have a religious theme so I could justify it a little. A few weeks into my obsession I found a Robert Sabuda pop-up at a thrift store and my obsession transferred to making my own pop-ups. If you have yet to see a pop-up book by Robert Sabuda then you are truly missing out...his books take pop-up art to the level you always wished it was at as a child. I didn't realize I owned one of his when my mom got me America the Beautiful for my birthday. It is truly astounding - they say other pop up artists are mysitified by his work and don't understand how he does it. The thrift store pop-up was Alice in Wonderland and it is magical. With tunnels that Alice falls down and huge arches of cards - it's amazing. And you know how most pop-up books are always trying to close on you? His don't - you can open them up and put them on a table to inspect each and every 3-d detail. Also they aren't as fragile as so many are - my two boys(5 & 2) have yet to destroy either one! I hope to continue to add more and more to my collection.
To participate in my obsessions you have two options - first got to martha and see how a basic snowflake is made - once you understand the basic construction you'll start to see the possibilities open up.
Or go to Sabuda's site and try some of his basic pop-ups. He's got holiday and birthday themed designs that can help you make some nifty gift cards!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Do you have his Wizard of Oz book? It's amazing - and we really do stare at each and every page forever! Yet, you still get the feeling that you're missing a lot of details when you turn the page...
I don't have any others and I didn't realize he did the wizard of oz! I can't wait to see it...
Post a Comment