
When we were expecting our first we went through many names. After the trauma of finding out I had a developing male organ inside of me (and it was pretty traumatic for me) we started on the hunt for boy names. At that point we were young (I was 21 and Mike was 22) and still hoping to be cool. We wanted something hip and different - something that would ensure our child would be able to have his name on a program for his art opening or on the cover of a book and it would look cool. And having the last name "Knorpp" makes that a little tricky. We started with the names Jack and Henry - I think Henry was in the lead. Then while reading some parenting magazine I read that Meg Ryan's two sons were named Jack and Henry. I knew that wouldn't work so I went looking again. If you don't know Mike then you might not know that as a teenager he was obsessed with the Beatles - he even had the huge chops, little round glasses, and an asian girlfriend to prove it. So I thought "Jude" would be the perfect choice. Not only could we pay homage to the fab four but also to our religion - Jude was the half brother of Jesus. On a weekend trip with family we announced the name and were surprised at the opinions of disgust that were shared. Not deterred, I remember thinking I would tell our little Jude exactly which aunt and uncle hated his name and thought it was ugly. Still though, deep down I knew it might be a little too "cool" a name for us.
And now we are here again. Hoping for a girl because this may be our last time doing this. Last Saturday, with a minivan full of teens, I was asked what we would name it if it was a girl and when I told them they laughed because they thought I was joking. Nope, "Gretyl Louise" isn't a joke name. I like "G names for girls - we started with Gwendolyn and then went to Gwyneth and then ended up here. Louise was one my amazing grandmother's names.
If we have a trilogy of sons - now that is difficult. We like Peter, Daniel, Atticus, Toby, Asher - but none really fits - or it makes our other kids names seem different - either too Bible themed or too trendy. So, we are starting to settle on Weston Daniel. A family name - Weston is my mother's maiden name and my little brother's first name. Daniel is Mike's brother and my brother Spencer's middle name.
We'll find out in April which name it is - for now at least. And we'll let you know. Now, I'd love to hear your comments but tread lightly - At least I try to. Names are personal. So, if you don't like it - I'd rather not know.
For a really cool baby naming tool - or just name tool go to : http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager - it is worth it.


8 comments:
I love Gretyl Louise! You know my grandmother Louise wanted to name me Gunhilda. It's a G name. I however would think Gretyl is better. Kudos to my mom for not listen to gma.
My sister named her son Keegan. Keegan Elijah Knorpp? Or how about in honor of your grandfather Silas Elijah Knorpp?
You are so right names are very important and totally up to the parents. Stick to your guns.
To clarify - Elijah Michael is our oldest son and Andrew David is our youngest. The choice now is between Weston Daniel(boy) & Gretyl Louise(girl).
I like the name Gentry (said like Jentry) and it's a "g" name! I'm so excited for y'all, we miss you! And I promise I'm trying to get those pictures to you for our slideshow!! Talk to you soon!
I love both names. I imagine your little girl to totally look like a Gretyl. I love the boy name too. We are using Daniel as a first name for a boy. A hate saying its decided this early on but it pretty much is. Great picks! No suggestions. Naming is so hard!
I vote for Atticus if you have a boy. Sounds like a strong Roman warrior name.
I am hoping that the most beautiful, blue eyed, curly haired blonde girl, with the same cute nose as Megan, and lovely light freckles comes to the M&M family. She'll make an adoreable Gretyl!
We already know you make strong handsome boys and Weston to me sounds like a western cowboy; strong, dashing, and courageous.
We can't wait to see you all this summer!
I honestly do like both names - and not just because you're my friend and I have to:)
Plus - I loved Gretyl Elhert - she was a great standard for the name...as would any offspring of the Knorpps.
I always thought it was funny that people wouldn't discuss the names they were thinking about using for their child - but I can understand why. It really can open up the floodgates of impoliteness.
You guys are great for tossing it around with everyone - and you shouldn't have any worries where names are concerned. You're on a great role!
I'm excited for you guys to find out officially the genetic state of your baby:)
P.S.
Gentry is a cute name - great suggestion...
I think Gretyl is darling! I'm sure she will have curly, blonde hair! And what's not to like about Weston Daniel! Good choices, M&M.
Post a Comment