Sunday, July 29, 2007

The family dog


With the move we have gotten rid of so many things from our entertainment center to our cat. Some things have been harder to get rid of than others (not the cat but the big screen). All of this has been with the idea of traveling light as we head off to our next place and then to grad school. The hardest thing to get rid off and the thing which I have been so wishy-washy on is actually not a thing at all but our family dog Jenny. We got Jenny last May or so from Twyla's Friends. It's great nonprofit organization that provides foster families for homeless dogs until they place them in a good well-suited home. We were kind of hasty in our decision to get a dog. It started with a "Well, let's just go look..." kinda thing. And then an hour later - or perhaps less than an hour later we were driving home with a 50 lb. dog in our car. Our big plan at that point was to build a home on some land out in Huffman. But as often happens, plans changed but our dog ownership didn't. So, we kind of stumbled into this relationship and we were kind of terrible at it.
I grew up with a dog in my family - but a backyard dog. The kind that you totally love but never play with. I remember people saying their dog was like a member of their family. Not in a this dog is instead of a child kind of way but in a balanced healthy we all love this animal kind of thing. I always wondered what that would feel like - like when people truly mourn the loss of their animals and vice versa.
So, back to us. We had this big dog that ran out the front door every time we opened it too wide and this dog that pooped in the backyard. And this dog that barked and needed bathing and smelled and got fleas. And it was like she was no more than 10 chores and a guardian for in my boy's room at night. So, we finally decided with the move that it was time to really get rid of her. We put an ad out and had a woman email who lived on some land out in Huffman. She had a couple kids, a husband, horses & something like 9 acres. I knew it was perfect for Jenny. But in the meantime somehow I was becoming really attached to Jenny. I don't know why but all of a sudden I started to get that she was a really great dog and only caused me grief when I wasn't taking proper care of her. So anyhow, this family has had her for the weekend and I am totally missing my dog. And it's getting close to member of the family kind of miss! But while I was getting closer to her all this last month - Mike was totally emotionally checking out. So, Jenny has been at their house and I am inches away from calling them up and saying the bets are off and we're coming to get OUR dog. But Mike says she'll be happier there and all that good stuff - but in a way I think he's wrong. I think she thinks the farm is great like any dog would but still she wants to be where HER family is. Home is where your heart is, not where your yard is - should I coin that phrase? In the end, I am surprised and happy to see that I am growing a new dog chamber of my mother heart...now I've just gotta go get my girl Jenny!

1 comment:

megan said...

It's true she's a good dog. I've been trying to keep myself emotionally removed in order to make a "level headed" decision about Jenny but have found that I have missed Jenny too. And also I can't deny that it makes me sad to see my boys obviously troubled by her leaving in somebody else's vehicle to go stay with them. Andrew was almost crying I think. So try as I might I feel like I can't just pass her off like that, just because it is the most convenient thing to do. So I guess that's it, I'll defer to my heart rather than my brain on this one.

--Mike