Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Introducing Movie Reviews

So I've decided to take my movie ratings a step further and start actually reviewing them. I'm also going to change my rating system from 4 stars to the basic "see it" or "skip it". I have been thinking about doing these for a long time but each time I try I have no idea what to write. I still don't know what to write but hopefully each time I do it, it will get easier. I do love to talk about movies. I majored in film at BYU and got to watch who knows how many movies while in school and Mike and I watch a lot of movies. I mean - a lot. Since we don't have television we spend most of our evenings watching movies.

Now, you may not agree with my opinions on movies all or most of the time and if so - sorry! But hopefully some of you will get some ideas for what to rent on your weekend nights.

Also, I belong to Netflix which I count as really imperative if you are a movie lover. No local store - no matter how well stocked - will have a diverse enough collection to keep you interested for very long - unless you are into soft porn - they always seem to have plenty of that! Netflix is great because when I hear about a good movie I can go put it into my queue so that I won't forget and will be able to get it when I am ready. Also, movies only take a day to get to us or back to Netflix so the turn around is excellent. You can also watch movies immediately streaming from their site for free(if you have that plan) which is also really great.

Another site that we put a lot ot stock in is rotten tomatoes. That site pulls together ALL of the critical reviews of the movie and gives it one score. I like to know what the critics have to say but I don't always agree with them. And sometimes I wonder if their moods or personal experiences play into their reviews more than they should. But with rottentomatoes it weeds out a lot of those off reviews to give you a pretty good idea if the movie is worth your time or not. I will include the rotten tomatoes rating in my reviews.

2 comments:

Patria said...

oh good! i'm so glad you're doing this, i love scoping out your film recommendations and have found some good ones that way! you're great at reviewing movies- I get overwhelmed the one time every couple months i get on netflix and load up on documentaries that i think i want to see, but after a long day- an intense documentary doesn't always fit the bill. mark says i'm fired from filling our queue. your reviews will help us.

Anna Beal said...

We had Netflix...the turn around was TERRIBLE. It'll be nice to see your "take" on movies though.