
So tonight for FHE we went and got ourselves some chicken - not for eating. Actually, we got ourselves some chicks. They are as cute as anything and in not too long they will be put in our backyard to provide us with 3 or 4 fresh eggs a day! They'll be in our backyard a lot sooner than those eggs come though. When it's time to move we'll most likely give them away - Elijah already made us promise we wouldn't eat them. Andrew named his first - at the store he said, without even being asked - "I want mine called "mermaid"!" I didn't even know he knew what a mermaid was - which when I said that in the car on the way home he told me there was a mermaid in Backyardigans.
Now, I know I'm his mom but that is one smart 2 year old. Mike was next with "Ursula" -
to follow the theme of Andrew's name choice. Elijah named his "Crystal" and I finally settled on "Scarlett O'Hara". Mike's and Andrew's are the two black ones and they are
Barred Rock Hens and mine and Elijah's are red and are
Rhode Island Reds. We are so excited. We have been dreaming of keeping a few hens for a looong time and because of mentors like
Marisa and the many
books and
websites I've looked at I finally felt it was time. Click on the links and you can see images of what they'll look like when they are older!

3 comments:
If you need any tips on raising prize winning chickens, I can hook you up with Weston's brother Dustin (see dustin & natalie's blog link on our blog). Apparently he is a natural because he randomly decided to enter them in the county fair and they won! They are onto the bigtime, state fair now!
Very fun! I've always wanted a chicken since watching Return to Oz...Dorothy has a chicken named Belina in that movie (you probably remember). Of course I wanted a talking pumpkin man too...but a chicken seemed more reasonable:)
Good luck! I bet you'll get some beautiful eggs from your cute brood:)
Welcome to farm life. Or a slice of farm life.
Post a Comment