Sunday, September 23, 2007

McKinney Falls

Friday afternoon I realized that we had no concrete reason to keep us from the camping trip we had been discussing for months so after calling Mike and getting the go ahead, I chose a camp spot, made reservations, and pulled all the stuff together. We decided on McKinney Falls State Park in Austin. I wanted water for swimming, trees, some change in elevation, and far enough west away to get rid of some of the humidity. McKinney Falls is just under 2 hours away - if you take the right way. It took us more like three hours on the way there because google maps gave us the craziest directions. And much to Michael's dismay I didn't look over the suggestions carefully enough to see if it truly was the fastest way. We got there at night - bad idea for camping. Everything seems scarier at night - so the spiders that were all over the place were terrifying! Luckily I rented a cabin because I knew getting there past dinner time woud be terrible if we had to set up a tent too. The cabin was cheap, slept 8, and was clean and fun. It had a sink, fan, and lights. The next morning after breakfast we found the swimming desitanation - McKinney Falls - and it FAR exceeded our expectations. The water felt amazing - the rocks for jumping were perfect and it was just clear enough -which is hard to come by down here in Texas.












The interior of the cabin:














The outside:













The bunk room:
























Me looking like a BEAST jumping off - it was soo fun we just couldn't stop.









Weston jumping...















Mike jumping - not as close a photo as the others...















Weston & the boys sitting around the campfire:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks super fun! I can't believe how different Weston looks...I guess a decade could do that for anyone, right?

The picture of you jumping off reminds me of spending hours at the rope swing at girls camp (when we were probably supposed to be cleaning or something). Marissa's legs kept making a clapping noise when she would do it - funny!!

Kathy said...

That looks like a lot of fun! the perfect summer vacation! and seriously - weston looks SO grown up! (i guess he is now, heh).

Muggle Mom said...

how fun! i'll have to check that out. where is it?

megan said...

It's in Austin. I linked to McKinney Falls site through my post so you can see where it is....

Unknown said...

ah, I'm jealous, we didn't go camping this summer like I had hoped. It looks like you had a great time.

Emily said...

You are crazy girl. I love the picure of you. Glad to see you are having a great time. We will have to check it out sometime. Looks fabulous!

brooklyn said...

aaaah! (that was a yell of envy). that looked soooo fun! i feel like such a looser for not having camped even once this summer.

such an awesome picture of you--love it.

and weston DOES look so mature and confident and old--great to see!